4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
View Poll Results: Should I get the Commando?
Yes, A monkey could do it.
88.89%
No, You're not a smart Monkey.
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Sniper Commando, Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

I think you can figure it out man. You're a pretty intelligent guy, and if I can do it, you can sure as hell do it. not that I'm saying Oxford isn't, but I still think you can get it taken care of
Old 05-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
I would go with Bob Kurgan if I were you.
I called Bob today. I'll see what he says about sending me a base tune to drive it down to him.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
I think you can figure it out man. You're a pretty intelligent guy, and if I can do it, you can sure as hell do it. not that I'm saying Oxford isn't, but I still think you can get it taken care of
Why you gotta be calling Ox stupid?

I'll call Bob again tomorrow and see what he says and weigh the options. I think my biggest reservation is with not putting it on the dyno right away. I'm a numbers *****. It would be so nice not to have to depend on someone else to screw with my tune...

I'm seriously 50/50 with this.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Pat from Delta Force (I think the guy who created the software) is helping me out with my supercharger tune. He has to use commando for my tune but I can't modify it with special forces.

So I told him I was tired of bothering him and asked if I should buy commando and do it myself. He jokingly said I would bother him more until I figure out how to use commando if I was to buy it. So basically I guess he was saying there is a learning curve to it. But Chris and Pat from Delta Force are very helpful over the phone and help with anything. I'd say buy it and if you run into trouble they definately will help.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Get Commando, and Greg Banish's Engine Management/Advanced Tuning book--you won't look back...

Commando comes with Special Forces so you can build tunes with SF and then load them into Commando as starting points. Once you get a feel for the various values, tables, and functions exposed by Commando you won't use SF as much.

I was able to tweak another 10HP peak, and 5-7 HP more in the mid-range using Commando vs. Special Forces--and make improvements to the IAC dashpot functions, and fix the hot start problem, and program a 2-step rev-limiter, and a whole lot more...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

I am slightly tempted to buy it myself. I originally had problems with the basic software because my calibrated MAF didn't work well with it. There is a tremendous amount of help over on their forum so I think you should give it a go. Like already stated you're a pretty intelligent guy. With your determination and their assistance I think you can handle it easily.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 PM
mustangman281
Banned

I will admit that sniper has awsome customer service. I lost the stock tune for my car and they gave me a new bullet when I switched to SCT. When the wife wrecked her vert and we lost the tune they gave me another bullet to tune her new car. Both were givin to me for free and also suggested that I go with a professional tuner on my car. Thats a good company when they will suggest that you use a different product so a pro could tune for you instead of letting you just buy their product and risk ****ing up your engine.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
I will admit that sniper has awsome customer service. I lost the stock tune for my car and they gave me a new bullet when I switched to SCT. When the wife wrecked her vert and we lost the tune they gave me another bullet to tune her new car. Both were givin to me for free and also suggested that I go with a professional tuner on my car. Thats a good company when they will suggest that you use a different product so a pro could tune for you instead of letting you just buy their product and risk ****ing up your engine.
I kind of agree. If I'm ever unsure, I have like 5 different people in town that I can call to come help with tuning or anything else really.

That was the only reason I even was open to tuning it myself

I say let someone who knows what they're doing tune the car, it'll make it less of a headache, and it'll let you enjoy the car
Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Guys, there is NO rocket science here, the fundamental principles of a 4-stroke engine are easy--suck, squeeze, bang, blow--everything else is just refinement of those actions.

Even those who "...know what they are doing..." were not born knowing how to tune an engine--they started out like the rest of us crapping in their diapers, and not knowing squat about engine tuning.

Get Greg's book, read it, ask questions, take things easy at first, and learn as you go. Contrary to what the government schools have fed you it is entirely possible for someone to learn something without being taught by someone else.

Last edited by cliffyk; 05-19-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:49 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Damn you cliffy, I was all content paying out my *** to let someone else tune my car.... now you have me thinking (which history has taught me, doesn't lead to good)

Quick Reply: Sniper Commando, Yes or No