4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Anyone else have to replace headlight bulbs a lot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:29 AM
Colbert

Originally Posted by black35th
Yea I can understand, I would think that would get old too.

What all did you test for? Resistance, voltage, amps, watts?
I didn't put a volt meter to it... not really sure what it should be putting out. The muse tests for any type of shortage in your wires when you have both ends disconnected. It's a very accurate device (and expensive). If your wire insulation is too thin, it can sometimes create a slight shortage in your wiring, which can lead to blown fuses (or bulbs in my case). Also, moisture on the wiring with thin insulation can do the same thing from what I've seen at my job.

But yeah, the wiring is great. Where would I find the voltage/amps/watts readings I should be getting?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:37 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Colbert
I didn't put a volt meter to it... not really sure what it should be putting out. The muse tests for any type of shortage in your wires when you have both ends disconnected. It's a very accurate device (and expensive). If your wire insulation is too thin, it can sometimes create a slight shortage in your wiring, which can lead to blown fuses (or bulbs in my case). Also, moisture on the wiring with thin insulation can do the same thing from what I've seen at my job.

But yeah, the wiring is great. Where would I find the voltage/amps/watts readings I should be getting?
Sounds like a pretty cool device. I'm an electrician and that thing sounds like it would come in handy, does it work on all insulation types?

As far as the readings, I'm not exactly sure on D/C readings.....I'll have to look that up.

You might also want to check your fuse and make sure it is the right size. Seems to me that if it was a problem in the wiring it would be blowing the fuse before the bulb.....if the fuse is too big then it's just gonna blow the light.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Maybe you should get a set of HID's. I know some places like stangmods.com give you a lifetime warrenty and the bulbs are supposed to last 10-15 years.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Colbert

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Maybe you should get a set of HID's. I know some places like stangmods.com give you a lifetime warrenty and the bulbs are supposed to last 10-15 years.
I've never used HID's and don't know anything about them. What's different about them? Is it true that it takes a minute for them to warm up?