4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Suspension question/ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 PM
IndianaJake

Default Suspension question/ideas

I know there are several routes I could go but I am NOT into drag racing. I have autocrossed my previous car for almost 7 years then went without an autocross worthy car for several years. Last year I bought this Mustang to be just a family/weekend car for fun. Well the autocross bug has bitten me again and was looking into options. The last car I raced had very little aftermarket support so I had to either make the parts I wanted, modify aftermarket parts or just use what was out there. With the Mustang it's a whole new story there is alot of suspension options out there. Here's what I want: Good handling that is ok for daily use. If it's a bit on the stiff side that's ok but a full out racing suspension is not. Adjustability is a plus.

So I was looking at package deals like the MM sport box, or the road and track box kits. I like the R&T set-up but honestly it's a bit more than I want to spend....just under 2400$ on thier site. And the sport box would be more to my needs if it had slighty stiffer springs and better struts.

Then there is the Hotchkis TVS kits and those are nice too. Or would it be better to piece a kit together myself....but I assume (yea I know what that stands for) they would put together kits that work together better than a shade tree slap'em together mechanic like myself could do.

So million dollar question is what the hell should I do?

Thanks,
Jake

Here's some vids of my last car on Beaver Run road course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_JxD...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPbt_...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkTgPiOsQlE&NR=1
Old 06-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I have the MM coilover setup with their IRS package. The car rides stiff but its nothing close to what people lowered on conventional setups are feeling. The spring rates you can get with their coilover setup are much better for the track than just a lowering spring setup. Give the guys at MM a call, they are pretty cool to talk to.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 AM
mustangman281
Banned

If your going slow enough to turn your not racing

You can get the same parts to make a good track setup without paying MM stupid prices. Shop around.