4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is it bad......?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:15 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...Scavenging.pdf

halfway down page 3 it puts this pretty well into layman's terms. sometimes people see increased power with increased backpressure, but this most likely isn't directly a result of the increase in backpressure itself...

"If, in fact, power does increase with increased exhaust back pressure, it is most likely the air/fuel ratio and/or ignition timing that are no longer optimal for the altered state of engine tune."
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by texas_stang02
why the hell would your motor "need" backpressure? you want as little backpressure as possible in your exhaust, because all backpressure does is rob power from your motor having to work harder to expend exhaust gases. if an engine needed backpressure, then race cars wouldn't run open exhaust.
Because i'm a tard I wasn't thinking straight

thanks for the article, it was helpful
Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gif4445
Because i'm a tard I wasn't thinking straight

thanks for the article, it was helpful
haha it's alright, i've heard this theory from a lot of people, i'm sure some cars have seen a loss in power when removing the mufflers but they don't consider that the tune is most likely no longer optimal for that setup... and that's the real cause for the decrease in power. i read a book several years ago about Smokey Yunick, and he did some testing on circle track cars and found spots under the car where there was either lower pressure or negative pressure (a result of the air flow around and under the car) and routed the exhaust so it dumped right into that low pressure area and saw increased performance from it.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

haha it's alright, i've heard this theory from a lot of people, i'm sure some cars have seen a loss in power when removing the mufflers but they don't consider that the tune is most likely no longer optimal for that setup... and that's the real cause for the decrease in power. i read a book several years ago about Smokey Yunick, and he did some testing on circle track cars and found spots under the car where there was either lower pressure or negative pressure (a result of the air flow around and under the car) and routed the exhaust so it dumped right into that low pressure area and saw increased performance from it.
man i'll tell you what, that must've taken a lot of tinckering around to get that kind of data and figure out how to make it resourceful. I hear about back pressure stuff a lot too, i just dont know who to believe
Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

some guy came in here and preached a few months ago about how engines need back pressure...now alot of people are confused lol..
Old 06-23-2009, 06:06 AM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
some guy came in here and preached a few months ago about how engines need back pressure...now alot of people are confused lol..
i worked for a mechanic through high school and college and i heard it from mis-informed customers all the time too. the general explanation i've heard time and time again is that your engine needs backpressure because it needs something "to work against".

i think another thing that confuses people is the scavenging effect of the exhaust. when i dyno tuned my circle track car, we found the optimal exhaust setup to be open headers with about 14 inches of 3" diameter pipe at the end of the collector. and this was another piece of wisdom that we got from Smokey Yunick's book. even though it's primarily aimed at pushrod, carbureted small block Chevys, it's still a great read for anyone who's interested in the mechanics of your engine. the same general principles apply to pretty much any internal combustion engine (with fixed valve timing, of course).
Old 06-23-2009, 09:18 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

So you're sayin i'm ok with the mufflers off? haha
Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gif4445
So you're sayin i'm ok with the mufflers off? haha
as long as your a/f ratio isn't running lean, then yeah you should be just fine. do you have cats on it? what does it sound like? (post videos if you have one, i'm curious)
Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

as long as your a/f ratio isn't running lean, then yeah you should be just fine. do you have cats on it? what does it sound like? (post videos if you have one, i'm curious)
yes the cats are still one....the sound is kind of raspy, more like a truck sound than anything, but i'll get a video up soon.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Running without mufflers is no different than using a straight through muffler.. instead a straight through muffler just ipens up to 3" instead of staying 2 1/4" like the stock diameter piping.

Quick Reply: Is it bad......?