4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need some advice for beginning mods.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Skip the water pump, skip the coils, skip the MAF, skip the U/D pullies. You could even skip the CAI and just put in a K&N drop-in filter and remove the silencer. If I had skipped the two of these that I have, it would've freed up about $300-350 that I could have spent on something much more worth the money. What are his overall goals for the car? That's really going to dictate where money will best be spent.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:44 PM
boostedbird38

i dont think he really has an overall goal for the car. he's just a single 23 yr old with money to spend.

i dont know about these 4.6 engines but i know what it takes to make power. i said he wouldn't need the water pump or coil packs.

i think he's just throwing parts that sound good at it and thinking it'll be alot faster.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Well a goal in mind would definately help. Whether he plans to drag race, autoX or just wants a badass street car can greatly affect some of the advice you'll get on what to do to the car.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 PM
boostedbird38

he rarely goes to the track, maybe once a year if that. knowing him he's just going for a kick *** street car. its also his daily driver so that makes me lean towards street.

Originally Posted by lilcrate
I agree with other suggestions, gears are definite must have. Is there a reason why he wants to get flowmaster over his already owned slp?
he had flowmasters on his 95 thunderbird lx 4.6 and loved em. so im sure its just a sound preference thing.

Last edited by boostedbird38; 07-18-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

If he wants to do FI, it's really preference whether you go with a centri blower or a twin screw, whoever has what is going to tell you what they have is best for a badass street car. A nice set of stage 2 cams wouldn't be a bad street ride either, you might not get the power of a blower, but it'll sound awesome.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Skip the coil packs, intake manifold, and the water pump. They arent gonna benefit very much at his current state. That frees up about 1000-1500 depending on what stuff he was going with. So with that i would tell him to do some upper and lower control arms, new axles and a 31 spline differential with gears. Whether he wants to go with 4.10's or 3.73's is up to him. But then i would tell him to invest in some nitto drag radials and he would be set in my opinion. So heres the new list that most, I think, would agree upon

Longtube headers
Pypes shorty h pipe
Flowmaster mufflers
JLT CAI
75mm TB
Plenum
Tuner
Built rear with gears
Upper/Lower control arms
Drag Radials

Also, he may want to look into lowering springs and possibly some new wheels with fattys in the back. Just some other food for thought things to tell him to look into. But for the most part, those are the mods that everyone on here typically suggests to anyone bitten by the mod bug.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

I would keep the SLP catback over the Flowmasters IMHO. The PI GTs had coil on plug. I wouldnt get that or the water pump for a street car just yet. Put that money into Subframe connectors, and a shifter.

If he is looking for some fun power, I would start saving for heads and cams or FI.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well...slp's with the o/r h pipe might sound a little funky in my opinion. Plus the lm1's lose too much of that fictional stuff called back pressure. But he likes the sound of flowmasters so thats what he is gonna get. He is probably just gonna get some center in/out mufflers and put them in in place of the lm1 resonators. So he will have the SLP's laying around probably so he can try the different sounds and see what he likes.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:02 PM
boostedbird38

just an update....

i've been writing my cousin and gave him a link to the thread so hopefully he'll register and start asking his own questions.

im really trying to stray him from getting the coil packs, water pump and intake elbow and manifold.

thanks guys for the replies and if theres anything else, feel free to mention it.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Gears/blower and Chassis/suspension for power and feel. (Exhaust is a no brainer)

Don't waist your time with anything else till you have all of those.
nothing else to say after that comment, he literally took the words right out of my mouth!

Quick Reply: Need some advice for beginning mods.