4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4.6 Typhoon Intake???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Either the Edelbrock, TFS or the P51. Although the P51 has never really should a Hp gain NA. The Edelbrock from the dyno sheet I've seen, average between 30 and 40 depending on how built the car is. And that's no loss down low.

The Edel is a direct runner straight into the Cylinders, what could be better than that?
I dunno, I wasn't really sure, it just seemed so simple in design it made me unsure of it lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
I dunno, I wasn't really sure, it just seemed so simple in design it made me unsure of it lol.
I think a lot of people get scared of the intake because it say the power band goes up to 7500. They immediately think that it has to give up the low end which it doesn't. The Edelbrock is cheaper than the other "true" aftermarket intakes. I have about $558 into my intake but I'm also going to buy the Edelbrock elbow next season and a new Tb which will add another $300.

$288 intake
$100 fuel Rails
$150 plumping & the regulator (You wouldn't need the regulator but the fuel sensor)
$20 Plenum adapter
Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

i wouldnt do an intake manifold until it is needed. Like if you blow the stoker to pieces, then get something different. But you really wont see a gain from any aftermarket intake manifold when mostly stock. My friend didnt even gain anything with nitrous and this manifold.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

What what I have read and heard from different tuners/shops. They actually noticed a decrease in power when using this intake. I have not personally used one.... but I trust a few of the people who have claimed this.

Intake manifolds don't really even come into play with these 4.6 until you've done everything else. I wouldn't even consider an intake until you have ported heads, cams and short block to spin up.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:29 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

or at least a supercharger or something to push the air into the manifold.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
What what I have read and heard from different tuners/shops. They actually noticed a decrease in power when using this intake. I have not personally used one.... but I trust a few of the people who have claimed this.

Intake manifolds don't really even come into play with these 4.6 until you've done everything else. I wouldn't even consider an intake until you have ported heads, cams and short block to spin up.

You're talking about the typhoon right?

I'm thinking about putting the Edelbrock on my wifes car for a back to back dyno session next summer if we don't put the KB on it during the winter. I'd just need the extra cheese to support buying a fuel rail sensor I'd never use again. I want to do this Just so I can find out exactly what Hp would be gained in a stock application.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Yeah I was talking about the typhoon... I've also not heard great things about the P-51 intake either. Really loose down low power with that guy.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

The P51 was Bee'sKnee's when it first came out. It's what everyone wanted but not many afforded and it was only good for fully built Chem/Mech F/I.

I still have yet to see a dyno sheet from that intake that gained any Hp and didn't mess up the tq curve below 5k rpm. I think it was more about looks and gluttony, lol.

I do wish the Edelbrock intake runners were a little taller. (For looks and gluttony)
Old 07-22-2009, 02:04 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

The P51 was Bee'sKnee's when it first came out. It's what everyone wanted but not many afforded and it was only good for fully built Chem/Mech F/I.

I still have yet to see a dyno sheet from that intake that gained any Hp and didn't mess up the tq curve below 5k rpm. I think it was more about looks and gluttony, lol.

I do wish the Edelbrock intake runners were a little taller. (For looks and gluttony)
Well that's what is kinda wrong with the P-51 as well. They had to shorten the runners to make clearance for a hood and they ended up really messing with the power band.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

The P51 was Bee'sKnee's when it first came out.
Definitely not for N/A, ask Camdup bought this one
Looks nice under the hood though!!

Quick Reply: 4.6 Typhoon Intake???