4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

dyno numbers before/after cams!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:56 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Hmmm...so OP, is this over stock cams, or did you have aftermarket cams already? I sure would ahve imagined larger gains, there must be somethign we are missing here right?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Hmmm...so OP, is this over stock cams, or did you have aftermarket cams already? I sure would ahve imagined larger gains, there must be somethign we are missing here right?
they are over stock and yes yall are missing a few things. The cams are designed for when I add heads and forge the internals. The timing is set back because of too much power. The cams were designed to work with my KB blower. They are not cams for high reving setups with centrifiguls. Also, I did not want cams so aggressive that I would have issues with stalling, starting etc. The cams are exactly what I wanted. Every person has a different goal with there vehicle. My goal is to have a nice setup with good power that sounds really good. I am not worried about having 600 hp just to be able to say that. Whats the point. Thats bullsh!t in my book. I am not after a car that is a b!tch to drive. Just because the cams did not add a ton of power that does not mean they are crappy cams. The cams were designed to do what I told them I wanted. Tim Matherly worked with Bullet to design the cams for my setup. If you dont know who Tim Matherly is all you have to do is pick up any mustang race magazine or a procharger magazine and you will read something about him. I will believe what a proven racer will tell me over any person who puts a bunch of crap in there car just to say they have all this horsepower and cant do **** with it.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

... why spend 600+ on cams for 20 hp.. kinda useless dude; especially in a blown application. If your not after big power, you would think a blower would be enough.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Roush, I wasn't getting on your case or anything, sorry if it seemed that way. I am a fan of Bullet cams, alot of what their engineering principles are based on make great sense to me. But, as you showed, we were missing something. Makes perfect sense to me, buy a set of cams ONE time only, and it can be re tuned when you forge the internals and change the heads. If/when I ever make up my mind, bullet cams are going in my ride.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
... why spend 600+ on cams for 20 hp.. kinda useless dude; especially in a blown application. If your not after big power, you would think a blower would be enough.
thats your opinion and I respect that. I wanted a nice cammed sound. What is wrong with that? Some of you guys spend thousands on wastefull bolt on mods that dont do crap for you or spend all this money adding all that power for what. Like i said most do it just for bragging rights. I have the package I want with the sound I want with all the power I need for right now. At this point I did not add the cams for power, I added them for the sound and any power I got was just a plus. Now later on when I get the urge I will forge etc. however my next step is suspension work to put it to the ground.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Roush, I wasn't getting on your case or anything, sorry if it seemed that way. I am a fan of Bullet cams, alot of what their engineering principles are based on make great sense to me. But, as you showed, we were missing something. Makes perfect sense to me, buy a set of cams ONE time only, and it can be re tuned when you forge the internals and change the heads. If/when I ever make up my mind, bullet cams are going in my ride.
no man, I knew you werent. Sorry if I got on a rant. Its just crazy how people assume they are **** cams without knowing the facts. I trust the guy who works on my car. Why shouldnt I. He lives it, he proves it. Don't believe it just watch...

how many people on here can say they have a 538 rwhp car that does mid 9's with only forged internals and a procharger? If you do lets see the video's. I love how so many talk it but can't walk it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYmE00Pn_EI
Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayC
Not impressed...........
not impressed??? why because I didnt do cms stage 2 cams so I could run mid 12's?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush2002
no man, I knew you werent. Sorry if I got on a rant. Its just crazy how people assume they are **** cams without knowing the facts. I trust the guy who works on my car. Why shouldnt I. He lives it, he proves it. Don't believe it just watch...

how many people on here can say they have a 538 rwhp car that does mid 9's with only forged internals and a procharger? If you do lets see the video's. I love how so many talk it but can't walk it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYmE00Pn_EI
Originally Posted by Roush2002
not impressed??? why because I didnt do cms stage 2 cams so I could run mid 12's?
If you would have let ppl know what was up in the first post instead of waiting untill after we saw the numbers then everyone wouldnt be so disappointed with the numbers.

Now we all have to wait yet again to for someone to push the cams the get some real world numbers of what they can do lol. we have someone on the board with em with ported NPI heads.. which doesnt help show anything really.. and someone who is not pushing the cams to any sort of potential.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
If you would have let ppl know what was up in the first post instead of waiting untill after we saw the numbers then everyone wouldnt be so disappointed with the numbers.

Now we all have to wait yet again to for someone to push the cams the get some real world numbers of what they can do lol. we have someone on the board with em with ported NPI heads.. which doesnt help show anything really.. and someone who is not pushing the cams to any sort of potential.
i see what you are saying. I can't help there man. Tim actually pulled out timing to keep it safe. One day I can answer that but not for a while. Forging is not cheap as you know.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

another problem I face is that if I put ported heads on then I will lose a few pounds of boost. Now here is where it sucks. The KB can only put out 14lbs max. Spinning it any more will tear it up. So lets say I put heads on and I lose 2-3 lbs of boost that means I will have a 14lb pulley on it but will only really get 10-11. Thats what I was told anyhow. That really sucks. They did a car like mine with the same blower and cams and got it to 600rwhp so I guess its not too bad. I don't know what the specifics are that they did. I know he told me that if I go forged he can time the p!ss out of it. So that is one thing they did im sure.

Last edited by Roush2002; 08-24-2009 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: dyno numbers before/after cams!!!