4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What to do?need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 PM
2001stanggt
1st Gear Member

Default What to do?need help please!

im 20 years old and just got an 01 mustang gt with a 5 speed. I know i want to keep it my daily driver but i also want it to be no means slow.i have some plans in mind but not sure were to start. the obvious would be cai and exhaust but im not sure what to do after that. i know this is gunna be a long running project but will take any advise. some people i know told me to swap in an engine from an 03 cobra but i figure for that money i can just add a badass supercharger to it now and work on the internals to make it even better.so any advise would be great thanks
Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Gears (4.10s) and full exhaust is always a great place to start, kind of depends on your power goals where you go next after that.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

that would probably be the thing to do. supercharge it and run low boost like 9 psi or so.

if your an all motor guy like me then 4.10's longtubes and a shifter ( MUCH more fun) would be a cool start along with a few bolt ons

Last edited by boduke0220; 08-25-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:44 PM
2001stanggt
1st Gear Member

yea i know i want to be over 400 hp prob 500 or so is my goal
Old 08-25-2009, 02:46 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to tell you what I am doing to mine and then you decide where you want to go after that. And mind you, I got all the ideas from people on this forum and from my buddy. Right now all I have is 2 chamber flowmaster but just ordered a CAI, under drive pulleys, off road x-pipe, aftermarket shorty headers and some comp cams. After those are installed I am probably going to add on a bigger throttle body than the stock one and also a different plenum. Not too expensive to add some extra horses to your pony. It's basically the same add ons my buddy has in his 98 GT and it sounds mean and kicked my stock 98 GT's butt.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
2001stanggt
1st Gear Member

thats another thing i see so many people recommed diff exhaust. i know i wanna do full exhaust like headers back but not sure what to go with.i want some combination that will make people **** their pants when i rev it up but not with how load it is but how mean it sounds.i love the low rumble
Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2001stanggt
thats another thing i see so many people recommed diff exhaust. i know i wanna do full exhaust like headers back but not sure what to go with.i want some combination that will make people **** their pants when i rev it up but not with how load it is but how mean it sounds.i love the low rumble
Try the SSS Terminator catback if you want something that will make people **** their pants! It's louder than stingers or packs, but still has a nice deep tone. Combine this with long tubes and a h pipe, and you'll have a killer sound!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

+1 to the SSS exhaust^^, i think you would really like that, youtube different exhaust combonations though, and see what you like. I'm more of a flow guy myself but SSS is sick too.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2001stanggt
yea i know i want to be over 400 hp prob 500 or so is my goal
4:10s wake the horse up for sure.
Me myself rather stay N\A as well, dont believe in NOS.
All throttle no bottle.
400-500hp hmm i hear thats pretty tough without NOS or FI.

Im all on this thread , Fords in general are new to me as well.
Well the module motor anyways.

You came to the right place, these members know their **** !!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by huey_33
I'm going to tell you what I am doing to mine and then you decide where you want to go after that. And mind you, I got all the ideas from people on this forum and from my buddy. Right now all I have is 2 chamber flowmaster but just ordered a CAI, under drive pulleys, off road x-pipe, aftermarket shorty headers and some comp cams. After those are installed I am probably going to add on a bigger throttle body than the stock one and also a different plenum. Not too expensive to add some extra horses to your pony. It's basically the same add ons my buddy has in his 98 GT and it sounds mean and kicked my stock 98 GT's butt.
I also see people doing PI swaps on the 98 and under 4.6ltrs.
Is that also in your plan? or have you already done that?
That makes some more HPs, Im guessing you did if your going with new cams.

Good luck reaching your goal.

Ps..I agree this place is awesome for knowledge on the Pony.
Like I said, these people know their $hit