4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Having second thoughts!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Default Having second thoughts!!

I have almost decided not to even buy headers for my 98 GT and just stick with purchasing the off road mid-pipe. I keep hearing that it's really not worth buying headers and that the HP gains are very minimal if any. I just don't want to spend all the time and hassle installing headers if it's not worth it. If I don't buy the headers which mid-pipe do you guys suggest I buy? Off road X-pipe or off road H-pipe. I could always use the extra money for other mods rather than headers.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 PM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by huey_33
I have almost decided not to even buy headers for my 98 GT and just stick with purchasing the off road mid-pipe. I keep hearing that it's really not worth buying headers and that the HP gains are very minimal if any. I just don't want to spend all the time and hassle installing headers if it's not worth it. If I don't buy the headers which mid-pipe do you guys suggest I buy? Off road X-pipe or off road H-pipe. I could always use the extra money for other mods rather than headers.

the only reason everyone says they are not worth it, is because eveyone is only worried about the highest number on their dyno sheet.

that and everyone repeats what they hear/ jumps on the bandwagon

shorties do their part
Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Headers are always worth the money. There are a lot of mid pipes to go with. If you want a bass sounding rumble go with an h-pipe, if you want a raspy NASCAR rumble go with an x-pipe. JBA, Pypes, SLP, make good x-pipes. IMO I wouldn't go with any BBK exhaust products I think there junk, and a lot of other people would agree.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 PM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

*edit*
JBA are the best shorties, but they are $$$..... you can buy pypes stainless LT's cheaper lol

i have a pypes o/r x pipe, i like it.

Last edited by HateWhatOwnsYou; 08-26-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Headers are definitely a great performance part. There are better buys for the money, but by all means headers are great. I prefer lts based on experience from friends and what mustang muscle says. I bought my car with shorties and flowmaster catback and was putting down very close to stock hp. Not so sure about the mid and low range gain comparison, but my shop says lts all the way, and they build race mustangs, so I somewhat trust them. But if you are lacking other mods and still have time to cancel order, you may want to consider some other very important mods like gears or PI swap.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 PM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

I would save your money now and not buy shorty headers. I'm saving for LTs, FTW! If you like the muscle car tone o/r h pipe is the way to go. Pacesetter's are good and cheap.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by HateWhatOwnsYou

shorties do their part
Not really! I had em' so I know, L/T's are far superior however only did em when the K member was installed!
Save your money for now!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Not really! I had em' so I know, L/T's are far superior however only did em when the K member was installed!
Save your money for now!

bs they dont.

i have em, so i know

you have a stock midpipe on them?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
fisher2985
2nd Gear Member

when u see stock manifolds off the car u will wonder how it could breath. i read all the stuff about how headers werent worth it also. bull $hit. i picked up torque u could feel, and 3 miles per gallon. ive never had shorties but anything is better than the restrictive manifolds.
far as brand goes, i suggest pypes.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by HateWhatOwnsYou
bs they dont.

i have em, so i know

you have a stock midpipe on them?
Hope, had an O/R H. Shorties gave it a nice tone but very minimal gains

Quick Reply: Having second thoughts!!