4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Borla catback HP increase?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Why not buy a o/r mid pipe and a diff catback? Honestly I'd spend 200 on 4.10s, 200 on a mid pipe and just buy mufflers and tips...it'll look As good, sound better and be faster...
Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
Why not buy a o/r mid pipe and a diff catback? Honestly I'd spend 200 on 4.10s, 200 on a mid pipe and just buy mufflers and tips...it'll look As good, sound better and be faster...
Ya but if he(op) isnt going to race his car he doesnt need 4.10s. He should go with 3.73's if its going to be his dd and if he does any hwy traveling at all.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:39 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Average 26 mpg going back and forth to philly last night at 75mph...what??? who said that...I did cus it happened. I actually get the same mileage with 4.10's as i did with stock. So go 4.10's. And the tires only spin if you dont know how to drive...and i dont know how to. lol but im learning. Plus your powerband is higher up so you can afford 4.10's...or even 4.30's. But id do gears and weld in mufflers. That way you dont blow all your money on a catback.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:59 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Average 26 mpg going back and forth to philly last night at 75mph...what??? who said that...I did cus it happened. I actually get the same mileage with 4.10's as i did with stock. So go 4.10's. And the tires only spin if you dont know how to drive...and i dont know how to. lol but im learning. Plus your powerband is higher up so you can afford 4.10's...or even 4.30's. But id do gears and weld in mufflers. That way you dont blow all your money on a catback.
Actually ive said that before on here too. I got 26 mpg going to seattle from spokane back in june with my cruise set at 75. I got 25.6 on the way back too. But ive heard from alot of people on this site that 4.10's are a terrible choice if you drive alot of hwy. Again, just what ive heard.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:08 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

I'm tired of the uneducated gear claims.

Its a cobra, imo I'd go 4.30s
My car is a dd, never sees the city, just highway and open countrt rds.
The last time I watched my mpg was on a 5hr, 300 miles each way trip. Cruising at 80 to 90 for 4 of the 5 hours, I got 28mpg.
The fact that its not a track car doesn't mean he should compramize and make it slower, that's just stupid
And lastly, its a cobra, its a 4v, it likes rpm more then the 2v
All the he said, she said, I once heard bull**** has got to stop, its missleading. Look at the thread where the guy got 3.73s because he was talked into it and isn't happy w them
Old 09-18-2009, 03:31 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

The last time I watched my mpg was on a 5hr, 300 miles each way trip. Cruising at 80 to 90 for 4 of the 5 hours, I got 28mpg.
The fact that its not a track car doesn't mean he should compramize and make it slower, that's just stupid
All the he said, she said, I once heard bull**** has got to stop, its missleading. Look at the thread where the guy got 3.73s because he was talked into it and isn't happy w them
But look at the threads where the guys who bought 4.10's hated them and switched to 3.73s. Im not advocating one way or the other, I dont have gears in my car but ive heard from ALOT of people on this site that have owned or currently own 4.10's and alot of them say its not the way to go if you drive hwy alot. Its a matter of opinion, and if people dont voice their opinions than how will the op know what to go with at all? I have said from the beginning go for full exhaust right now than decide on gears after you get a better perspective.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Wolfie40

There's another question.
Say I get gears 4.10 and then get my Borla catback. It will be louder than 3.73 because it's turning more RPM's.
Is there a seat of pants diff from stock 3.27 to 3.73?
I don't know to much about mid pipes and all but we do have emissions here in Wisc. and I would need cat converters. Plus thats really more than what i want to do.
I just want it to sound good and have a little more pick up.
Right now with stock gears shifting from first to second comes pretty quick shifting mildly at 3000 rpm's. i guess i need to find someone with 3.73 and 4.10 and see were normal driving shifting is.
I was going to go with 4.10, but like someone said they didn't like them becauce of the droning at hwy speeds. But then some say that have 3.73 that they should have went to 4.10. I was looking at American Muscle and I see that Ford Racing doesn't make a 3.90.
Well still confused!
I appreciate all the advise.
I should say that I'm 90% sure on the 4.10. I'm just stuck on the Rumble or the GO!

Last edited by Wolfie40; 09-18-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:27 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

I have 373s auto 2v. Wish i would have got 410. Cobras have a higher redline, so it would be good idea to go atleast 410. Havent heard anyone say they regret 410, only 373, but not another gear thread, please...
Old 09-18-2009, 05:28 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wolfie40
There's another question.
Say I get gears 4.10 and then get my Borla catback. It will be louder than 3.73 because it's turning more RPM's.
Is there a seat of pants diff from stock 3.27 to 3.73?
I don't know to much about mid pipes and all but we do have emissions here in Wisc. and I would need cat converters. Plus thats really more than what i want to do.
I just want it to sound good and have a little more pick up.
Right now with stock gears shifting from first to second comes pretty quick shifting mildly at 3000 rpm's. i guess i need to find someone with 3.73 and 4.10 and see were normal driving shifting is.
I was going to go with 4.10, but like someone said they didn't like them becauce of the droning at hwy speeds. But then some say that have 3.73 that they should have went to 4.10. I was looking at American Muscle and I see that Ford Racing doesn't make a 3.90.
Well still confused!
I appreciate all the advise.
I should say that I'm 90% sure on the 4.10. I'm just stuck on the Rumble or the GO!
I have just the stingers on my car with the factory headers and midpipe. I love how it sounds however I am going to be putting new lt's and an off road h on there soon. If you arent concerned with the full exhaust I would definately go with the stingers and than brush up on some more info for gears before you make your decision. I know when I bought my stingers lmperformance.com had the best price I could find for them. You might start there. Good Luck with your decisions.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03_GT_Reaper
But look at the threads where the guys who bought 4.10's hated them and switched to 3.73s. Im not advocating one way or the other, I dont have gears in my car but ive heard from ALOT of people on this site that have owned or currently own 4.10's and alot of them say its not the way to go if you drive hwy alot. Its a matter of opinion, and if people dont voice their opinions than how will the op know what to go with at all? I have said from the beginning go for full exhaust right now than decide on gears after you get a better perspective.
He doesn't have much to say about that.

Originally Posted by lilcrate
I have 373s auto 2v. Wish i would have got 410. Cobras have a higher redline, so it would be good idea to go atleast 410. Havent heard anyone say they regret 410, only 373, but not another gear thread, please...
Open your eyes.

OP 4.10s are an utter mistake for a daily driver, don't listen to drag-strip fools who refuse to accept that some mustang owners want a street friendly car and dont go to the strip once a week. Notice the only defense for 4.10s these people had was gas mileage, well guess what, who the **** said anything about gas mileage when comparing the two? The problem with 4.10s is traction and high RPM's on the highway. After a while it gets really obnoxious having to deal with the noise of the engine with 4.10s on the highway, not to mention extra wear that cruising for hours at those RPM's causes over time. You have an overdrive gear for a reason, not because its perfectly fine to cruise at half your redline for hours on end. Thats the reason they bring up gas mileage, because its the only logical way to defend 4.10s for a daily driver street car(because theres no difference). Here's the facts OP, in order to take advantage of 4.10s you HAVE to have slicks or DR's. So go ahead and tack on the cost of big fat tires ontop of the cost for the 4.10's. Otherwise you will simply spin through any advantage that 4.10s would offer. You will go no faster than if you have 3.73s if you're on street tires. You can mark my words and take that to the bank.

BTW, boduke had it spot on....the rubber hangers are really obnoxious.

Last edited by Hangwire; 09-18-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Borla catback HP increase?