4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

275's on 9 and 10in wide wheels for track

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

Default 275's on 9 and 10in wide wheels for track

I want 275's on all four corners of my car, so i will be ordering these.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m=74WR7HTRZ2V2

They are cheap and all i want to do is get my beak wet on this one. The outings are at the local airport with the porshe (sp?) club of america so there is some hardcore guys out there.

The events are not competitive and there are minor safety rules (tech insp. and Snell hamlet)

MY QUESTION: Will having 275's on all four corners with a 9in wide wheel up front and 10in wheel out back have a negative impact on my performance....or be detrimental to safety for that matter.

Last edited by Young_Buck; 09-19-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:58 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Well if you have a 10" rim at the back then why don't you order something wider for the back, like 315's?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Smokeybear001

nice sig, i have 275 all around and its alot better than it used to be. You should do nicely the track with those...agreed with strider you got 10" in the back y not go wider?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 AM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

I have 315 BFG DR's DD and i love em. The traction is great But i want to try taking turns for a change, i know i could handle the car 120+ but to do that speed while riding the brake and trying to keep her on the road around a curve seems like more fun (hypothetical and inflated situation i realize)

More like 55 around a bend with the tires holding for dear life, but i think you guys get the picture.

I think having a street tire 315 with a 275 in front would prolly throw the car off balance. I know we dont exaclty drive BMW's or Miata's here but Overall balance is a key fundamental necessity on a twisty track i think.

If there is anyone with experiece i hope they drop a comment....but that dont mean im not open to discussion and theory. Indy cars run different sizes i suppose.......further and further down the rabbit hole my mind slips as i ponder the possibilities, woe is me.

.....one day, tiger racing front end and 315's at all four corners.....one day

PS. I HATE you smokey cause i see an intercooler and im jealous

.....one day,an inter ca ca coola' in my front bumper...................one day

Last edited by Young_Buck; 09-19-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am sorry to say, I am not impressed with that tire in the least for any kind of competitive arena. The tread pattern is too broken up and a pretty hard tire as well, sorry

I am not soo much a fan of 275's on a 9" wheel, as I think this is a bit fat and can be a bit sloppy in the corners. I recommend you stick no more than 265's and go with a different tire for performance driving.

Pepe Choosing a new tire (sig) to give you a better idea of why I don't care for the tires on your link.

Jazzer
Old 09-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

LOL Jazz did you read my post? This is NOT a competitive event, its an speedy (as fast as i dare) "drivers ed" course around the airport. All i want to do is try it out, if the tires arent great thats fine, i can use them to drive around town and perhaps pick up a dedicated set of wheels and tires later.

You stated: "I am not soo much a fan of 275's on a 9" wheel, as I think this is a bit fat and can be a bit sloppy in the corners. I recommend you stick no more than 265's and go with a different tire for performance driving."

Could you please elaborate on exactly what i should do for the 10in in the back? Im sure i should not stretch a 265 on her. I dont want to assume that you would recomend a staggered set up but i must ask.....are you?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ what I mean by competative event, is aggressive driving. Weather it be side by side with another car or just pushing your car to get the most out of it on a course and comparing your times or just shooting for the lowest one possible (coulda worded it better ).

I like a staggered set-up, but will be prone to some additional understeer in such a case. I think a 275 is a good fit for a 10" wheel as the side wall is a bit tighter than on a 9" wheel. Lots of sidewall does not typically do so well on an AX course or really pushing the corners. My issue is more with the tires you are looking to order. I don't think they are a good tire for the driving at your particular type event, nor high performance driving in general. The are a pretty hard tire and see the tread pattern as prone to "lateral walking" on harder corners. See a review I had of the Eagle GS-D3 from a couple years ago with a softer compound and pretty similar tread pattern ***HERE***. I think the Eagles are a better tire than the Sumi's linked and are certainly more expensive, but would expect them to be similar in corner response.

Tires should be chosen by ones driving needs and decided by ones budget.

You are new to this type of event, so would recommend you go on the tires you have. Take a look at the hardcore Hoosiers and Avon's out at the event and some others that take their street cars out there. Talk to some people about what they use and why. Many tires will be out of the question unless you have a second set of wheels as they are not so good for street use . I recommend a tire with fewer tread blocks and especially on the outside edge.

Take a look at Choosing a new tire thread and will have some better explanations re: above issues.

Jazzer

PS. Either way... have fun as THAT is the most important thing at these events
Old 09-20-2009, 11:41 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

You are going to want to look into a tire in the 200 Treadwear range. Something like Falken Azenis RT-615, Nitto NT-05, Kumho XS, etc.

They will provide loads more grip than other tires. I personally run 17x9 all around but drive my fathers GT with a staggered set up. The induced understeer is minimal but we are also driving on completely different set ups currently.