4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

trick flow cams and heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Sash
2nd Gear Member

Default trick flow cams and heads

Hey guys anyone got the trickflow heads and cams,i need your feedback,sound clip would be nice.
thanks.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

theres a guy over on modular fords with VT stage 2 cams and TF heads. makes 355rwhp running outta cam
Old 09-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Sash
2nd Gear Member

so this heads needs more aggressive cams?what about trickflow cams?anyone have those?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:06 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

boduke - keep in mind the guy you're talking about had the runners ported and cleaned up by foxlake so you probably wont see as high a result with ones out of the box. The numbers are damn impressive, so I'm not knocking it... even out of the box, they're performing better and flowing more than any ported PI head i've seen

The two biggest issues right now are the cams and intake. The pi intake simply cant flow enough to take full advantage of the new flow patterns. Same with the cams. Like anything, a custom ground cam for the specific head stats would be ideal, but they're still so new to the market that the only thing you can really find are the TFS cams. They're probably the best suited ones out there right now, but even with TFS heads and cams, I bet its still limited by a stock style PI intake.

I was thinking about picking up a set of these for my 01 GT N/A project but I'm waiting a few months to see if Cushman Motorsports is coming out with TFS specific cams.

With 355rwhp on a stock intake with cams that dont have enough in em, I cant wait to see what a custom tailored setup will put down....
Old 09-20-2009, 03:50 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

in reference to the new TFS heads not performing as well with a stock intake manifold, on the TFS thread they said that their dyno sheet was done on a stock motor (i think) with TFS unported heads, TFS cams (not sure on the specs off the top of my head), and a TFS intake manifold (again, not sure which one), and their 70mm TB. i believe that their motor, on an engine dyno, put out a little over 400 hp at the crank, with electric water/oil pumps if i am not mistaken.

LINK to their thread:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...o-results.html
Old 09-20-2009, 01:49 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT03 TJS
boduke - keep in mind the guy you're talking about had the runners ported and cleaned up by foxlake so you probably wont see as high a result with ones out of the box. The numbers are damn impressive, so I'm not knocking it... even out of the box, they're performing better and flowing more than any ported PI head i've seen

The two biggest issues right now are the cams and intake. The pi intake simply cant flow enough to take full advantage of the new flow patterns. Same with the cams. Like anything, a custom ground cam for the specific head stats would be ideal, but they're still so new to the market that the only thing you can really find are the TFS cams. They're probably the best suited ones out there right now, but even with TFS heads and cams, I bet its still limited by a stock style PI intake.

I was thinking about picking up a set of these for my 01 GT N/A project but I'm waiting a few months to see if Cushman Motorsports is coming out with TFS specific cams.

With 355rwhp on a stock intake with cams that dont have enough in em, I cant wait to see what a custom tailored setup will put down....
You are correct. His limiting factor are his cams and intake manifold. CMS already has cams out called the stage 3 and stage 4. Check them out.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
You are correct. His limiting factor are his cams and intake manifold. CMS already has cams out called the stage 3 and stage 4. Check them out.
IDK why people haven't started using the Edelbrock intake with the Trickflow heads. There isn't an intake on the market that flows more, faster with the most direct runners and least tumble.