4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Hey guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:39 PM
SmokeyLines

Default Hey guys

I currently drive a 1995 Z28, and I hate how unreliable it is. I'm currently selling it. I'm looking at a 1997 gt, with exhaust, intake and gears. What should I look out for? He said the speedometer doesn't work. Thats a $20 sensor, right? Thanks!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I would rather have an lt1 than a 2v, especially since your thinking of selling your car for a non pi 2v.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
SmokeyLines

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
I would rather have an lt1 than a 2v, especially since your thinking of selling your car for a non pi 2v.
I know I'm taking a hit in the power department, but I want something reliable. What should I look for in a used 2v 4.6?
Old 11-07-2009, 03:34 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I love Mustangs but why not just put the money you are willing to spend on the NPI Mustang into your Z28 to make it reliable?
Old 11-07-2009, 03:53 PM
SmokeyLines

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I love Mustangs but why not just put the money you are willing to spend on the NPI Mustang into your Z28 to make it reliable?
lol. Can you just tell me what to look for?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

The Dude wants to drop the slush box , Quit hugging the GM's Testee's and give him advice lol. OP check for the usual stuff when buying a car , Fluid leaks , vibrations , engine knocks , if its a 5 speed listen for bad bearings , see if the clutch is feathery or firm. Take it to you mechanic first to have him check for stuff you cant see or find , Ask to see receipts of maintenance and mods also , other then that if it is a sound deal grab it and do a PI swap. 2v very reliable engine duty rated over 200k miles if maintained as directed. They also love boost !!!! not very sound for N/A power so dont expect much from bolt ons.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:01 PM
SmokeyLines

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
The Dude wants to drop the slush box , Quit hugging the GM's Testee's and give him advice lol. OP check for the usual stuff when buying a car , Fluid leaks , vibrations , engine knocks , if its a 5 speed listen for bad bearings , see if the clutch is feathery or firm. Take it to you mechanic first to have him check for stuff you cant see or find , Ask to see receipts of maintenance and mods also , other then that if it is a sound deal grab it and do a PI swap. 2v very reliable engine duty rated over 200k miles if maintained as directed. They also love boost !!!! not very sound for N/A power so dont expect much from bolt ons.

Thanks lol. Yeah, I just want a car that I can still beat the ricers in my town with until I join the air force. But looking at the horsepower numbers of a 2v... I'm starting to second guess that.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:07 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

buy a 99-04 GT, throw some 4.10s in it and its running with and beating LT-1s all day provided you can drive. i've seen 99 for right around 5k now.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SmokeyLines
Thanks lol. Yeah, I just want a car that I can still beat the ricers in my town with until I join the air force. But looking at the horsepower numbers of a 2v... I'm starting to second guess that.
why not check out the 99-04 GTs. You can get them fairly cheap right now, or hell find a 90's cobra, you can find one of those fairly cheaply as well.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:28 PM
0440thgt
2nd Gear Member

How much money are you looking to spend?

Also, what's wrong specifically with your Z28?

Those are usually very reliable cars.

Quick Reply: Hey guys