4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

crankshafts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM
slipknotrain
1st Gear Member

Default crankshafts...

i have been looking everywhere but cannot find any indicators for knowing whether or not i have a forged crank in my 2004 5.4 4 valve. it is straight out of a lincoln navigator but the only thing i have found on how to determine the crank is by looking at the crank itself and while i am an 18 year old going to college fulltime....i have no time to pull my engine AGAIN and check it out. they say looking at the parting line will tell you, thick line is forged, thin is cast, i NEED another way to tell, hit me with any ideas, vin numbers, whatever, thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:08 PM
sainthk
2nd Gear Member

To tell you the truth there is no way to find out for sure unless you take it out and thats to be 100% positive. I know cast and steel sound different when you hit them on the floor, but thats an old school trick and you need it out to do that.

But look at it this way it came out of a lincoln navigator and SUV, I mean they are not small and need towing capabilities.

Do some research, call around the ford dealers ask them or search the net. If you know the year and all that good stuff you have to come up with something.

PM me with the information and all try to find out for you I have some books that have really good info at my shop. But after my exams.