4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Which CAI should I use JLT vs. BBK

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:49 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

There is no such thing as ram air but the JLT RAI is probably the one id go with...and coming from me who has a CAI from them. The CAI wont net you any more than the RAI and the CAI has sucked water up into my engine and thats not something i would risk. So just get the RAI from JLT.

/thread.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by teej281
There is no such thing as ram air but the JLT RAI is probably the one id go with...and coming from me who has a CAI from them. The CAI wont net you any more than the RAI and the CAI has sucked water up into my engine and thats not something i would risk. So just get the RAI from JLT.

/thread.
I dont see how that it is possible. I have driven in plenty deep water for years with no problems ever. I think this is a myth that needs to be dispelled. Unless you are forging a river, there is no way to suck up water. And my car is slammed btw. Were you the poster who hydro locked a while back? i think something else happened... lol I just find it impossible...
Old 12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

just get whichever one looks better to you, the metal thing isnt true, the air is traveling too fast to get hotter while in there..
Old 12-06-2009, 01:44 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Save your money.. just put in a K&N filter and LEAVE the stock silencer.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:46 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
just get whichever one looks better to you, the metal thing isnt true, the air is traveling too fast to get hotter while in there..
Tell that to eaton owners...
Old 12-06-2009, 02:26 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
This kinda makes me laugh. I mean you are talking about all the things you are going to do to your car (compression, heads, cams, P&P) yet your asking about which CAI to get?

Anyways, I don't think you could go wrong with either CAI. I would also pass on the heat wrapping.
+1 seems kinda fishy to me... in all honesty dont by a cai. and especially dont buy one and heat wrap it... the only reason i have a cai is because when my motor was built the guy at theshop took longer than he said he was gonna take so he threw in the 24# injectors the cai and the udp.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Fobra
Banned

lol a heat wrapped cai ... HaHa
Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by teej281
So just get the RAI from JLT.
/thread.
What he said. I have both. I got the CAI, it was awesome and everything, but then came time to clean the filter...kinda PITA, so I got the RAI cheap. You don't notice a difference between the two. The advantages of the RAI are:
1. You hear the air more
2. It isn't subject to a huge *** puddle
3. looks cooler to me.

I wish I had taken some pics of the new RAI, but all I have is the CAI. But take a look.

And I have had the comment before, so I will just say that it is a 75mm TB that it is bolted up to in the first two pics.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
sycamaro67

I have Jlt fender intake and that's the only one I would do because if you get the ram air one you are still put hot air into the motor.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:57 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Fobra
I dont see how that it is possible. I have driven in plenty deep water for years with no problems ever. I think this is a myth that needs to be dispelled. Unless you are forging a river, there is no way to suck up water. And my car is slammed btw. Were you the poster who hydro locked a while back? i think something else happened... lol I just find it impossible...
Well my car was not slammed at the time and it was not that deep of water. Just went through a puddle and the water splashed up on the filter and into the intake. It was not enough to hydro-lock the motor but it did stall out but fired right back up 2 seconds later and hasnt given me a problem and its been a year and a half. So its not a myth. It happened to me and my car wasnt slammed but it was right after i got it installed and i was still getting used to driving with it and fully missing deep puddles while driving. So there is a way to suck up water into your motor. My car is now pretty low and i dont suck up water and thats because i miss all the puddles possible and the ones i have to hit, i go through incredibly slow.

Quick Reply: Which CAI should I use JLT vs. BBK