4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Sub Frame Connectors ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I just recently had steeda full lengths put in. So far, I like them, there's definitely a noticeable difference. Of course I also had the tq. boxes reinforced and welded along with UPR UCA/LCA's with solid bushings, so I have alot to go on.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 PM
pkwest
1st Gear Member

I have MM full length on my 03 cobra vert. The stock vert connectors are a joke. Make sure the person who installs them knows what they are doing. You need to install them with the suspension loaded. The best way to do that is install them on an alignment rack. If they are installed with the car lifted by the frame it is possible the car will be twisted permanently. I would also check out Kenny Browns Extreme Matrix Subframe System now that he is getting better and is back in business.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Reason the chassis will be twisted???
Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Reason the chassis will be twisted???
if someone who is inexperienced lifts the car by the frame, then the car will be bent by its own weight up in the air. then, by welding in both ends of the SFCs while the car is bent, you're basically making it hold that shape permanently.

what i've seen some guys do (what my installer did) was to lift the car up in the air and weld the rears on, then lower the car on jackstands underneath the axels and then weld the fronts. before he started he taped up the doors and quarters and marked them with a pencil, and showed me when he lowered the car back down that the pencil marks still lined up perfectly.

i actually had mine done just north of hanover, in Abbotstown at a place called Pharro Performance. i recommend checking him out.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:02 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
I installed these http://www.americanmuscle.com/7904-f...onnectors.html over three years ago and they do the job
+1...i've had those same ones for about 3 years as well. Like you said they do the job just fine. They were cheapest most decent ones i could find at the time.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:06 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

What are people seeing for install prices for flsfc's? I do not think anyone in my area has ever installed any of these. Well, maybe 1 Mustang nut, but I doubt he would want to do it.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:23 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i have maximum motorsports xl flsfc's and they are awesome, helped my vert out so much, the stock ones are a joke. They need to be welded on, dont waste your time with bolt in ones. All you need to do is find a shop that can weld
Old 01-01-2010, 01:59 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by IRSmart
if someone who is inexperienced lifts the car by the frame, then the car will be bent by its own weight up in the air. then, by welding in both ends of the SFCs while the car is bent, you're basically making it hold that shape permanently.

what i've seen some guys do (what my installer did) was to lift the car up in the air and weld the rears on, then lower the car on jackstands underneath the axels and then weld the fronts. before he started he taped up the doors and quarters and marked them with a pencil, and showed me when he lowered the car back down that the pencil marks still lined up perfectly.

i actually had mine done just north of hanover, in Abbotstown at a place called Pharro Performance. i recommend checking him out.
Yea, ive heard of Pharro Performance but i havent heard of too many things good about them. I go up the road to keith's pitstop on 30 outside of gettysburg. He'll do it right if i do it, but i'll make sure he knows to do it with the suspension loaded.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:05 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

I will probably go with the MM but what is everyone paying for these suckers to get installed? I will see a pretty significant difference in daily driving, right? Etc., making turns, cornering? Should stiffen the chasis in a very noticeable manor yes?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Sub frames are good to have on a vert... also welding them is the way to go. And as far as brand i dont see it mattering very much as long as they fit, its not like it some special part... its just metal.

Quick Reply: Sub Frame Connectors ?