4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I think this is what I got (or something similar)... worked just fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRac...item20ae8e3ec0
Got the same one, a lil' fabbing (such as reducers that were not included and welding a flange for BOV) like hank said and you are good to go
Old 12-18-2009, 03:52 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by lilcrate
Interesting just read it thanks. I think he is basically saying he made more power with the vertical core, but it can run a little hotter. Not sure why cooler air would be better if more hp is being made...
What Furinox was saying there was the vertical core intercooler flows better but might not be cooling the air as much. Look at it this way...a supercharged non-intercooled motor will make more power than an n/a motor will any day. Thats because there is more air being pushed into the cylinders. Now, the intake air temps will go up significantly in this situation, but you still gain power. Now if you apply that to this situation it might make a little bit more sense. The flow of the air is less restricted in the vertical core IC over the horizontal core IC. Now both IC's are doing their job of cooling the air, but the vertical core allows more air to pass through quicker(if i read it right) and frees up flow. So you are still getting cooler air, but with less pressure lost. Ive heard that if you IC you lose a pound or 2 of boost because of the restriction. The vertical core IC is more efficient at moving air, but the horizontal core IC is more efficient at cooling the air. Like said, both will cool the air(which will give you gains over non-IC'd), but the better flow of the vertical core will out-power the better cooling affects of the horizontal core up to a certain point. When there is significantly more heat because of high boost pressure, the horizontal seems to be prefered. But for lower boost where the IAT's arent significantly high, the vertical core IC would be prefered. It makes sense to me...i dont know if all this jibberish made sense to anyone else though. lol
Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Were you guys able to drive it to a shop to get it tuned or does it need the tune immediately?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:07 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You can probably drive it to a tuner to get it tuned...just wouldnt go into boost if i were you. I mean all they are probably going to do is add fuel to the mix to make up for the cooler air. Might be able to mess with the timing a tad but probably not too much if they do.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:07 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Personally I would rather have the intercooler that produces the cooler air charge. But that's just me... there are plenty of ways to make power, cooling is important.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:13 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Personally I would rather have the intercooler that produces the cooler air charge. But that's just me... there are plenty of ways to make power, cooling is important.
Same here! Cooler air and more timing, pleased with my setup