4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New Edge build v.s. New edge driving.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Living in the Bay Area, I see a lot of $hit, Foxes SN95's, New Edges, and S197's. As for ones that are built? Definitely S197's.
My perfect build would actually involve a Turbo rather than a S/C.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

I will be happy when my car is at 400-450 rwhp with modified suspension and some exterior mods. I wan't something that looks clean and sinister that I can drive every day that it doesn't rain/snow! Up here in Alaska fox body stangs are hardly ever seen and new edges and sn95 stangs are rare also. s197's everywhere. People drivin 2010's in this horrible winter weather now! Even a camaro or two out in these horrible winters.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
haha because it will no longer be a mustang, just a shell of a pony that was sent to heaven and returned to earth as a stallion with a desire to eat souls haha 6.0L jesus... what are you trying to make power wise? How much does it weigh?
hoping for 450 n/a and around 600 if i decide to spray it.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
jRock617
2nd Gear Member

I've been seeing a bunch of S197s and New Edges here but they're all sixers. Even in the summer, i barely see any GTs/Cobras/Machs.

As for a perfect DD 2V stang, Long tubes, mid-pipe, cat-back (something not too loud), upper plenum, stage 1 cams, and 3.73 gears, lowered a bit, upper/lower CAs, subframe connectors, adjustable shocks/struts.

You'd have a car making almost 300rwhp (prob around 285-290), with a good power range from the cams, and strong acceleration from the 3.73s (without overkilling your DD commute with something steeper). Plus you would have decent handling around bends.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I built my car to drive. It had 60,000 miles on it when I bought it. I had the supercharger put on at 80,000. I drive about 20,000 miles per year. I drive it spring, summer, fall and winter. The car has almost 135,000 miles on it now. It is currently setting in the parking lot with dirt, grime, and road salt all over it. It is a true daily driver but it is not a winter beater. The paint and interior are in excellent condition. The weather's warming so I'll clean it up and make it nice and shinny this weekend.

For me the perfect car balances looks with performance. It doesn't matter if a car has 500 rwhp, I'd still consider it junk if it looked like it came from a demolition derby. I think that 370-380 rwhp is about right for a daily driver. Reliability is important, 370 rwhp doesn't push the limits of the stock short block too far, and I still get 20 mpg on the daily commute. Since my car is all weather daily driver, I have a set of summer and a set of winter wheels and I don't plan on running drag radials. They have too short of a tread life and suck on corners. At 370 rwhp traction is a bit problem with street tires so my next mods are to upgrade the suspension. I do not intend to put lowing springs on the car or upgrade to a stiffer spring. A stiffer spring would reduce ride quality and inhibit the shifting of weight to the rear wheels during acceleration. I'm looing at the "poor man's" three link which is LCAs and a panhard bar using stock UCAs. Maximum motorsport says this will tighten up the rear end and increase traction for both straight line and out of corner acceleration.

When I use this car up, I'll buy another New Edge and transfer the go fast parts to it.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
I built my car to drive. It had 60,000 miles on it when I bought it. I had the supercharger put on at 80,000. I drive about 20,000 miles per year. I drive it spring, summer, fall and winter. The car has almost 135,000 miles on it now. It is currently setting in the parking lot with dirt, grime, and road salt all over it. It is a true daily driver but it is not a winter beater. The paint and interior are in excellent condition. The weather's warming so I'll clean it up and make it nice and shinny this weekend.

For me the perfect car balances looks with performance. It doesn't matter if a car has 500 rwhp, I'd still consider it junk if it looked like it came from a demolition derby. I think that 370-380 rwhp is about right for a daily driver. Reliability is important, 370 rwhp doesn't push the limits of the stock short block too far, and I still get 20 mpg on the daily commute. Since my car is all weather daily driver, I have a set of summer and a set of winter wheels and I don't plan on running drag radials. They have too short of a tread life and suck on corners. At 370 rwhp traction is a bit problem with street tires so my next mods are to upgrade the suspension. I do not intend to put lowing springs on the car or upgrade to a stiffer spring. A stiffer spring would reduce ride quality and inhibit the shifting of weight to the rear wheels during acceleration. I'm looing at the "poor man's" three link which is LCAs and a panhard bar using stock UCAs. Maximum motorsport says this will tighten up the rear end and increase traction for both straight line and out of corner acceleration.

When I use this car up, I'll buy another New Edge and transfer the go fast parts to it.

on a side note...when you buy the panhard setup, make sure not to get one that bolts to the bottom side of the spare tire well... just saw a gt in the shop with the old kenney brown setup and it actually ripped a hole in the trunk
Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I don't see many in my area any more either, and the ones I do are either cobras or saleens. I think it came down to the new 05's coming out that killed many new edges. Why would you want to start a build with a car making 270HP vs a car making a lot more. Like the new coyote making over 400hp. Look at the amount of money I would have to drop to get my new edge to 400HP, most likely I would have to use boost. Well that coyote will be able to use boost and get them over the 500HP mark easy. It just makes more sense to get rid of the older car and buy the new beast. Hell, the 2011 will be most of our DD's bone stock.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

I forgot to say, in my area all you really ever see are New Edges...sixers though. SN95s and Foxes are pretty much tied for rarity. Usually for the SN95 it'll be a sixer and the Fox will usually be beat up or rusted. There are only TWO New Edge Cobras around here. Both are 99s and black. The one has been all done up to replicate the '00 Cobra R exterior wise, with the exception of the exhaust. SN95 Cobras....there's only mine....until, ONE other little jerk decided to copy me and bring a blue 98 SN95 Cobra in to the area. Lots of S197s too though.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Lots of new edges over here, not as many SN95's or foxes. My project will be a DD no matter what it is. I dont care about street manors or whatever. Im going to have an all around good car. One that handles and can make it in a straight line as well. Plans will include a turbo though.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
on a side note...when you buy the panhard setup, make sure not to get one that bolts to the bottom side of the spare tire well... just saw a gt in the shop with the old kenney brown setup and it actually ripped a hole in the trunk
This is the package I've been looking at.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/in...roducts_id=338

Quick Reply: New Edge build v.s. New edge driving.