4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cobra front end on a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
I put my cobra bumper on because i needed a new bumper, found one for cheap, and its the sexiest looking bumper ever made for these cars. I just got complimented up one side and down the other for how sexy my GT looks with the cobra bumper on it. People will know your car is a GT as long as you dont debadge it and put cobra stuff on it. As long as everything else says GT, even if you have a cobra bumper on it, people will recognize it as such. I know SVT guys dont like us "just GT guys" putting cobra stuff on our cars. But thats the price that comes with buying the sexiest mustang EVER!!! be flattered that we are trying to make our cars look like yours. Its cus we look up to you guys But what you need to do to make the cobra bumper fit, if its a 99-01 cobra bumper, should bolt right up. But the 03 cobra bumper requires holes at the header panel mount to be drilled further back to make proper clearance for the GT hood.(thats what the two pieces that extend upwards from the bumper along side of the headlights.) Good luck to you. Let me or any other members that have the bumpers know if you need any help. Other members helped me when i was doing the swap and we'll be glad to help you. And welcome to the forums.
Your so nice to look up to us!
I had a 2v gt once!

Originally Posted by blk04
Not a lot at the moment but by spring I should be able to spit some adequate game. I have 75mm TB/Plenum, BBK CAI, BBK o/r X, Borla stingers right now. What would you guess my rwhp/rwtq is? I've never had it dyno'd cuz I figure I should wait til I got more on (headers, gears, a pulley kit, bigger wheels, and a Ford racing handling kit). I have all this stuff in my dads garage with the car in hibernation until spring. I bought the car brand new in 04' but have only been modding it for the past year as it became my salvation after most things in my life turned downward. I'm still new to this kind of thing in my opinion though. I really appreciate all of the help. This forum has been more help to me in the past three days that I've joined than anything else so far. FFL!
Your prob around 240rwhp. I say skip the rest of the small mods and start building your motor up and go with some sort of FI so you can hit over the 350rwhp mark. My power numbers are in my sig and there not even enough more me anymore lol.

Originally Posted by Dteal23
yo, where are you getting the bumper from??? found them on ebay for stupid cheap... 227.00 no shipping. jump on it
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
You have to watch with the ebay ones. There are good seller and bad. I've seen the quality of the bumpers off ebay and there so bad thats why there so cheap.

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
235-245~
Sounds about rite!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 PM
02 Silver GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07

You have to watch with the ebay ones. There are good seller and bad. I've seen the quality of the bumpers off ebay and there so bad thats why there so cheap.

Ya if you are going to buy off e-bay buy from pershing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...Q5fAccessories i heard nothing but good things about them before i bought the bumper thats why i went with them plus they were close enough for me that i drove out to them to look at the bumper the fit is good and looks good also they will even paint it for you if you want them to....
Old 01-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02 Silver GT
Ya if you are going to buy off e-bay buy from pershing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...Q5fAccessories i heard nothing but good things about them before i bought the bumper thats why i went with them plus they were close enough for me that i drove out to them to look at the bumper the fit is good and looks good also they will even paint it for you if you want them to....
thats actuaaly the 1 i was talkin about, just didnt feel like specifying and explain the price + shipping=xxxx... good to know tho thanx
Old 01-23-2010, 09:40 PM
TheDarkKnight
1st Gear Member

Default 03/04 Cobra Bumper

I want to put a Terminator front end on my GT, but certain places (Cali Mustang) say it wont fit without a cobra hood. Is this BS? I see a lot of pics with Terminator front end on GT's and it looks awesome. Was there anything special done to make it fit?
I changed mine after I smacked a deer on the highway recently. I bought a 03/04 Cobra bumper on Ebay already painted to match my paint code for $375 (painted and shipped). It matched perfectly and fit fine with no trimming mods. I pushed the upper grill posts back slightly so they didn't touch the hood and drilled new holes for the new push pins. Fits great, looks great! Added the bezels and smoked fogs for another $150ish. I have a Cobra deck lid and spoiler as well as mirrors I'm getting painted to match as well, shortly I hope. Best part is I don't give a rats a** what anyone else thinks, it's my car not theirs. It doesn't say Cobra any where and it doesn't have any Cobra badges, I just love the styling. Good luck with yours....

Last edited by TheDarkKnight; 01-23-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:40 PM
blk04

Thanks for the heads up about ebay. That sounds great! And I was about to pay $500 for the one in California Mustang lol. They even paint it for you too? That's awesome!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 PM
blk04

Why so low on the HP? I'm not sayin that 235 is puny but I thought these cars came with 260 stock? I figured adding bolt-ons would raise it up. Plus, what kind of motor building do you mean? What does FI stand for? Sorry for all the questions. Like I said, I'm still new to all of this.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Why so low on the HP? I'm not sayin that 235 is puny but I thought these cars came with 260 stock? I figured adding bolt-ons would raise it up. Plus, what kind of motor building do you mean? What does FI stand for? Sorry for all the questions. Like I said, I'm still new to all of this.
260 at the crank... we are talking HP to the ground. i think a stock gt has like 219 220ish stock to the ground
Old 01-23-2010, 11:24 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Building the bottom end refers to using forged internals to support more power to be made and to be able to spin the rotating assembly higher in rpm's. And FI means Forced Induction referring to superchargers and turbochargers, and nitrous sometimes depending on who you talk to.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

That's 260 at the motor. Thats why when you were all like "I'll have the power to back it up" I asked you what you had done and what your plans were. Please do not take this the wrong way, "You have along way to go to catch a stock terminator, let alone a modded one". FI means forced induction. We were all new to this whole mod game at one point or another but this is a good place to learn. I was once like you and thought by doing bolt ons on my 2v gt I thought I would be fast. But after pretty much doing every bolt on except for some sort of FI, and still getting spanked by every lsx car out there I decided that I was done with the 2v gt and decided to move on up to the terminator.