4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Throttle body problem? (Maybe..?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
h3kt1k

Default Throttle body problem? (Maybe..?)

Allright, I know I don't post alot, still getting used to the power of the Forums. haha.

Allright here is my question or problem. I currently just changed my oil, and Seafoamed my throttle body, (Which I think that I left the Sea Foam in my throttle body too long, This isn't the first time I sea foamed my car (2002 GT 4.6L V8) and havent had any problems till now now I am having the "Check Engine Soon" WTH? The light comes on and off and even flashes sometimes, I even needed a Smog Check to get my car registered and it passes with flying colors. So I guess there is no problem there. But, Yes I probably left the Sea Foam in about 20-30 Minutes, while I was doing stuff around the house. Anyhow though.. When the car just starts for the morning it runs fine, then I noticed when the car warms up it seems like its not getting the fuel or air or something when I press the gas peddle down. (It seems to kinda Bog alittle..

Would this be my throttle body or things around the throttle body? (IE - Vacuum Hose?) <- where i injected the Sea Foam. or would this be something else? (IE - spark plugs, fuel pump?) and if it is maybe the stuck sea foam in the vacuum line will the sea foam deteriorate? Kind of an issue and if someone could possible give me some suggestions to do so that I don't have to go spend a bazillion dollars to just get it Diagnostics. Thanks Guys and please help.. ahh Ima go crazyy..
Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You need to pull the codes to see for sure what the problem is, however the first thing I would check would be a contaminated MAF sensor...
Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Found this on LS1TECH.

i was taught by a tech. and he showed me what would happen if you let to much go in.....the car would idle really rough and sputter like you said and then cut off, however 90% of the time when we started it back up it would pop as SES light for a misfire. sometimes it didnt and sometimes it did, when i did it on my Z28 it did. its no big deal i cleared it out and it caused no probs at all but i just thought everyone should know so they dont freak when there check engine light pops. advanced clears them for free. the methoud you used is perfect in everyway but i have seen them foul out plugs and pop lights so i would do it before a plug change and just clear the light out and everything should be fine.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM
h3kt1k

Originally Posted by cliffyk
You need to pull the codes to see for sure what the problem is, however the first thing I would check would be a contaminated MAF sensor...
Will do Cliff. It is definitely a starting point. That will be the first thing that I do when I get home from school and get the chance to thoroughly check my engine for anything out of order. I will let you guys know how it works out for me, thanks for the information guys! Appreciate it very much.

Last edited by h3kt1k; 03-01-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
h3kt1k

So I took my Intake apart yesterday and my MAF is clean as it could be, no contamination on the sensor at all. Which now leads me to believe that I am miss-firing because of Spark Plugs. (Any thoughts)

I know that I have not changed them since I had the car, and who knows when the previous owner did them.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:22 PM
h3kt1k

So Spark plugs were changed, I had water in the plugs causing the miss-fires. I even had 1 spark plug that was rusted from the water. : / How fun it was, lol. Anyhow..

What should I do about the small amount of water that went into the cylinders? I was told by a few people that I should drive like 90-100 for 10 minutes or so to get rid of it. This true? and will the water be of any harm at all? It's kinda got me nervous...
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM
h3kt1k

On another note..
Since the spark plugs were changed. my "SES" light was on after changing. A simple disconnection on the battery for about 10 minutes did the trick to reset the computer. So the light is off.. for now.. Thanks to the guys who helped me. appreciate it.