4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Semi Jake Brake - Say What???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:11 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Default Semi Jake Brake - Say What???

Why does my 03GT sound like a semi flipping on a "Jake Brake" under deceleration? When lifting off the throttle at, say 3000rpm's, exhaust sounds like normal engine braking until around 2500rpm's, then it gets all loud until roughly 1500rpm's. These are rough guesstimate rpm's. Keeps reminding me of a semi "Jake Brake".

Why is this and is there a way to eliminate?

Just curious...
Old 02-28-2010, 09:37 AM
BAKnBLK2010
1st Gear Member

The PCM is turning off the fuel supply during these conditions. This is a fuel saving feature. Don't know if it can be tuned out or not.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:46 AM
White002GT
1st Gear Member

I thought thats what the PCM "dime mod" was for. There's a gasket with a smaller inlet for air getting into the PCM valve, that's supposed to stop hanging RPM's at idle and the conditions OP described.

?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BAKnBLK2010
The PCM is turning off the fuel supply during these conditions. This is a fuel saving feature. Don't know if it can be tuned out or not.
Can't complain about car trying to save me a little go juice. Just a bit annoying with my loud exhaust. Car IS NOT a daily driver and if it could be turned off, I would...

Just ordered an SCT tuner. Could it be deactivated with this?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:51 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by White002GT
I thought thats what the PCM "dime mod" was for. There's a gasket with a smaller inlet for air getting into the PCM valve, that's supposed to stop hanging RPM's at idle and the conditions OP described.

?
So there is a way?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

I always think mustangs with loudmouth 1s sound like what you're saying.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:51 AM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

its called engine braking and there is noway to get rid of it if your coming to a stop just pushin the clutch or put it in neutral if it bothers you
Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by MyGt03
So there is a way?
Originally Posted by White002GT

?
I think you meant to say the "IAC" (Idle Air Control) mod, and "IAC" valve.

This modification has been discussed to death on this forum, just search for "IAC mod". That said, using a 1/2" copper pipe cap, drilled and inserted into the IAC air feed tube is much easier than making a custom gasket, and does not require dismounting and remounting the IAC while experimenting to get the hole sized correctly.

========================================
With regard to the OP's issue adding restriction to the IAC bypass will generally exacerbate the popping during deceleration.

One thing that might be causing the OP's engine to pop during deceleration (not a normal issue) could be a sticking/sluggish IAC that is not passing sufficient air.

The decel fuel cutoff has a number of conditions that must be met before it kicks in, and required to keep the injectors off. The Coasting Fuel Shutoff Time scalar (4 seconds in the OEM tune) sets the amount of time at closed throttle before the injectors shut down, and the Decel Fuel Shutoff/MPH value (25 in the stock tune) is the minimum speed at which the injectors will be kept off.

The OP did not say what gear/speed this was happening at, however if the IAC were sluggish/sticking and the speed dropped below 25MPH, the injectors would fire up in an overly rich condition due to the IAC being stuck = popping in the exhaust...
Old 02-28-2010, 12:12 PM
White002GT
1st Gear Member

^ Yeah thats what I meant, I'm no mechanic lol
Old 02-28-2010, 07:41 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I think you meant to say the "IAC" (Idle Air Control) mod, and "IAC" valve.

This modification has been discussed to death on this forum, just search for "IAC mod". That said, using a 1/2" copper pipe cap, drilled and inserted into the IAC air feed tube is much easier than making a custom gasket, and does not require dismounting and remounting the IAC while experimenting to get the hole sized correctly.

========================================
With regard to the OP's issue adding restriction to the IAC bypass will generally exacerbate the popping during deceleration.

One thing that might be causing the OP's engine to pop during deceleration (not a normal issue) could be a sticking/sluggish IAC that is not passing sufficient air.

The decel fuel cutoff has a number of conditions that must be met before it kicks in, and required to keep the injectors off. The Coasting Fuel Shutoff Time scalar (4 seconds in the OEM tune) sets the amount of time at closed throttle before the injectors shut down, and the Decel Fuel Shutoff/MPH value (25 in the stock tune) is the minimum speed at which the injectors will be kept off.

The OP did not say what gear/speed this was happening at, however if the IAC were sluggish/sticking and the speed dropped below 25MPH, the injectors would fire up in an overly rich condition due to the IAC being stuck = popping in the exhaust...
Man cliffy, Is there anything you don't know?...lol Talk about hitting the nail on the head... This seems to be exactly whats going on. As for the gear/speed it happens at, I really couldn't tell. Never pay too much attention. However, I will search IAC mod. Think Im on the right track. Thanks....