4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

think I fell in love with a car.. Not a mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:06 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fidelcastrol
The gt is a more reliable car, the last turbo mitsu I owned was a 1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI it was 4 yrs old when I got it and it blew 2 headgaskets in 10 months and cracked the head and a bunch of little bs sensors. The car was fast handled great look sexy but all those issue left me with a real bad taste in my mouth for mitsu's. Stick with the stang at least you can upgrade for less than half the cost, most every autopart store has parts in stock, and you can actually work on the car without needing a degree in computer science. Oh and the Conquest never overheated or anything for all that to fail and I never raced it, just alittle spirited driving. I killed this car when I found out the head was cracked. I let all the coolant burn off and drove it in NYC traffic for 3 months with zero coolant and the engine never died. I sold that pos to my cousin for $600. I reckon the synthetic oil kept it alive, although it smoked like a steam engine when I got done. Almost forgot I blew a freeze out plug too clean off the back of the engine.
Well Im sure Mitsubishi's quality went up in the past 22 years.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:47 PM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
Well Im sure Mitsubishi's quality went up in the past 22 years.
That's exactly what I thought when I bought my Jetta in 08, 2 years later and about 1 1/2 dozen warranty repairs later, I'm thinking I better get a stang. I had a Fox body right after the Conquest it gave me no problems except for the driver door misaligned and the car was an 87. I hate mitsus and VW with a passion. The only reliable cars I've ever had are the 87 GT and a 98, 96, and 08 Civic (un riced). I had a IROC problem with mass air all the time, Conquest chitty head design, Lexus GS300 super expensive parts and trouble with a $1200 cat converter built into the mainfold at only 97000 miles, 2.5L Jetta chitty sensors and electrical problems still only 44000mi, on saturday I will be trading in the Jetta for an 04 stang can't wait to hear the rumble, I'll never betray you again my beloved mustang.

P.S. Your forum has more smileys than I've ever seen or knew existed.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

yes im certain it has, lol..and your right about its power spoiling me, but i was getting too use to the power of my stang and wanted more anyway, now i feel like i need more than ever lol... im just too concerned about drivin that GT in the snow next winter, i know its far in the future, and maybe ill last this summer without doing anything, but i just dont know if i should be committing to supercharger and say a prayer before i drive in the winter, or start savin for that evo...

and i like the older style evo better as well but unless i find one owned by an old man that was never modified im going to be goin for a new one, the new body grows on you when you look at it enough, and especially when you drive it, lol..

as far as the v6 goes, i have a weird insurance situation and it was cheaper for me to have 2 cars rather than 1 (dont ask), but when i turn 21 in June that is going to change and i wont be able to maintain insurance on them both, so the v6 is goin in May, already have a friend committed to the purchase...but that will leave me with a few grand in my pocket, which is why at that point i will either be putting it into savings for an evo or putting a blower on

does anyone drive their supercharged stang in the snow????
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fidelcastrol
P.S. Your forum has more smileys than I've ever seen or knew existed.
HAHAHA, i thought the same dam thing when i first started on here, i have no idea what you could possibly use half of these for, lol, however i like to throw a random one in occasionally just to take advantage of their availability
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 PM
03GeeTee
3rd Gear Member

I prefer the evo 8 and 9 over the evo 10. However the 10 is really nice, it would be an awesome daily I think.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

2010 Evo > 2v

/Thread

Also the evo actually responds to mods, plus its a new car!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 PM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

im actually the opposite... i went from being an import guy and owning one of the top 4 "big dog" jap muscle cars (3000gt VR4- TT v6 + AWD) and fell in love with the sn95 and v8 domestic world.

grass is always greener on the other side, the vr4 was a badass car but SUPER unreliable and EXPENSIVE to mod... thats why i got rid of it. mustangs are SOOOOOO much more easier to work on and fix; plus parts are ALL over the place.

go to your local craigslist and type in "mustang" in auto parts then type "3000gt" or "stealth" and just see the difference there.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

true, grass is greener on the other side, and there was definately more appeal to the stang when it would be my second car, as the only car its less exciting unless its nice out lol...

and i wouldnt be worried about modding the evo, id wanna keep that warranty intact, id take it to the track stock and slide on whatever i can that is removable for warranty purposes, i think its BASICALLY ready to go the way it sits, like the way it looks and definately satisfied with the starting power...

and i have been reading they respond great to mods, $500 bucks gets you into mid 12's with decent driving im told, which is all im really looking to get, need a car to get me from A-B and have fun first, track fun comes second...
Old 03-04-2010, 10:37 PM
mustanghorsepower

The stang has the potential to rock the evos and it would be so much cheaper
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

This is true but u have to push the stang where u would just be lightly modding the evo lol. And it would certainly be cheaper but I still must ask. What do you high horsepower people do in the winter? Does anyone here drive their supercharged or other high horsepower stang in the winter? Or do like all of you have second vehicles? Because that just isn't an option for me anymore :/

Quick Reply: think I fell in love with a car.. Not a mustang?