4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

engine break in, this i find interesting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Not trying to start a war, sorry if it seemed like that. Like I said in the previous post, I have no idea what kind of rings those engines are running. I do know that if you break in an engine with moly rings wrong and they don't seat right, they never will and then you're stuck pulling the motor apart
Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

makes me go maybe i wont get molly rings lol
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Yeah, but they are so much better!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Bman2000
makes me go maybe i wont get molly rings lol

Or maybe you can follow the instructions the ring manufacturers clearly specifiy
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

nah screw them hahaha. The one thing ive always wondered, and think ive seen it on dyno break ins. But drag cars the the top fuel cars, dont do engine break in they just go...dont they? Back to the dyno break in, what he says in his article seems like what ive seen on dyno break ins... I think that sometimes people just stick with whats seemed to work for 80 years....thats why im interested possibly to try this. I mean how many ring companys do you think build a motor and try different break in procedures? i could be wrong but it just doesnt seem like they would....im probebly wrong but meh...
Old 03-14-2010, 03:55 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I think your worrying too much about this..

just do what you usually do and move on with life
Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

I didn't read the article but I've broken in many engines working at the machine shop. And we always would take it out and for 10 to 15 min accelarate, not at WOT, fairly high in the rpm range and then let it decel in gear, do this in a few gears, and after 10 or 15 min beat the **** out of it... No problems yet...

And top fuel and drag only cars don't do any break in, but a lot of times are using diff materials, with diff tolerances
Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

sounds like a good plan to me!! im really not that worried about it anymore, i build it i break it i build it again. So far everything ive built i havnt broken so yea im happy!!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bman2000
nah screw them hahaha. The one thing ive always wondered, and think ive seen it on dyno break ins. But drag cars the the top fuel cars, dont do engine break in they just go...dont they? Back to the dyno break in, what he says in his article seems like what ive seen on dyno break ins... I think that sometimes people just stick with whats seemed to work for 80 years....thats why im interested possibly to try this. I mean how many ring companys do you think build a motor and try different break in procedures? i could be wrong but it just doesnt seem like they would....im probebly wrong but meh...
Top fuel car engines only last a couple runs down the quarter! They even get rebuilt BETWEEN runs on the same day sometimes! LOL They are definitely not built for longevity.

Most ring manufacturers know what works with their rings. Most of the time engine internals are designed by engineers and the like who know what they are talking about. Not just a bunch of guys sitting in a machine shop turning out parts and crossing their fingers hoping they function correctly.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Top fuel car engines only last a couple runs down the quarter! They even get rebuilt BETWEEN runs on the same day sometimes! LOL They are definitely not built for longevity.

Most ring manufacturers know what works with their rings. Most of the time engine internals are designed by engineers and the like who know what they are talking about. Not just a bunch of guys sitting in a machine shop turning out parts and crossing their fingers hoping they function correctly.

i know they arent really built for longevity, lol i was just curious if they had any sort of break in, they probebly just make so much power that the rings are just along for the ride, dont last long enough to break in lol. And im not saying all engineers are like this because i know they arent. But i have met plenty of people who have the engineer title, and have never phsyically gone out and see the work they make...which means in theroy the things they make work, but in reality stuff has to be changed on the floor. Now mind you this probebly isnt as accurate for a lot of stuff (and i dont work on cars outside of my house), but i have been on the bussiness end of engineers work, and seen it not work and wondering how in the hell they cam up with it in the first place, and have to make changes to get things to work. part of the fun of being a fabricator i guess

Quick Reply: engine break in, this i find interesting