4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

If you are planning on a blower in the future, I totally agree with everyone above. Blower cams will be fine on an N/A setup no matter how long you are running. They won't add as much power (while N/A) as an N/A specific cam, but you will be much better off once you go F/I.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

also just so you know blower cams don't sound nearly as choppy as na cams just so you know.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 PM
nd22121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
also just so you know blower cams don't sound nearly as choppy as na cams just so you know.
Hmmmm. Did not k ow that. Thanks.

And I am going to check out the modualr head shop as well. I'm thinking I might try blower first. Been reading around and trying to find I stall prices for cams. Seems like it may be expensive.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

my local head shop quoted me at 300 with tune
Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Yeah, most blower cams won't have as aggressive of an idle. They are very noticeable though, especially with an aftermarket mid-pipe and catback. Most blower cams sound about what a stage 1 N/A cam sounds like.

All that being said, you should be choosing a cam based on power and how well it fits your setup, not what the idle sounds like.

Install prices tend to vary a lot from shop to shop, and whether or not you are having the valve springs replaced.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM
nd22121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Yeah, most blower cams won't have as aggressive of an idle. They are very noticeable though, especially with an aftermarket mid-pipe and catback. Most blower cams sound about what a stage 1 N/A cam sounds like.

All that being said, you should be choosing a cam based on power and how well it fits your setup, not what the idle sounds like.

Install prices tend to vary a lot from shop to shop, and whether or not you are having the valve springs replaced.

Nah, I am not basing how they sound as to which I'm gonna buy, just didn't realize they were different.
Still trying to decide if I want to get blower or na cams. I mean I really plan on s/c but if for some reason something would come up where I couldn't afford it at the time(cause I would like to do this by the end of thesummer)I don't want s/c cams in my car then.
But I would really like to do cams first before the blower beause I am impatient and they are the cheaper of the two right now.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Just remember if you run blower cams n/a you might leave 10-15 hp on the table vs a lot more if you run na cams with a blower.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:37 PM
nd22121
2nd Gear Member

So are these the blower cams from mod head shop you are talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-6-5...item19b61c576b

and my year car is PI right? Because I also see ones for NPI as well. Btw these were from their eBay store.
Also, I didn't think about this but will the cams screw with my emissions or is that one of the reasons a tune is required after a cam install.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Yes, cams can screw with emissions. There are some possible ways around that with tuning, running stock exhaust, injectors, etc...but there are no guarantees. It depends on the testing as well.

Your car does have the PI heads assuming it has the stock motor.

Those cams are good for a mild blower setup.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nd22121
So are these the blower cams from mod head shop you are talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-6-5...item19b61c576b

and my year car is PI right? Because I also see ones for NPI as well. Btw these were from their eBay store.
Also, I didn't think about this but will the cams screw with my emissions or is that one of the reasons a tune is required after a cam install.
Call Tim over at MPH and get a set of his custom blower grinds. They will be good for over 280rwhp with full bolt ons N/A. I have already passed CA emissions with them with a mildly modified stock tune, probably would have passed with a completely stock tune, but I didn't want to chance it. As for how well they perform once FI, there is very few cams that even come close to them.

Quick Reply: Cam question