4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

best thing ive done so far to the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 PM
CitadelBulldogs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I don't understand your comment, there was no reference to the fill quantity in my post?

You of course need to refill with the correct amount of fluid, which for the 3650 is 3.0L (3.2qts) per TSB 04-15-6...
I'm saying that type of fluid will produce no recognizable changes, but people who go from one kind of fluid to another, could be mistaken the improvements of going from low fluid to the correct amount, with the type they used... so they think they're getting improvements from a different kind of fluid, when they just filled it up and now it seems better...
Old 04-03-2010, 09:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by CitadelBulldogs
I'm saying that type of fluid will produce no recognizable changes, but people who go from one kind of fluid to another, could be mistaken the improvements of going from low fluid to the correct amount, with the type they used... so they think they're getting improvements from a different kind of fluid, when they just filled it up and now it seems better...
OK now I understand, you were highlighting that there are a lot of aśśholes in the world. You must be a young fella'--I had that pretty much figured out 25 or 30 years ago
Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 PM
CitadelBulldogs
1st Gear Member

OK now I understand, you were highlighting that there are a lot of aśśholes in the world. You must be a young fella'--I had that pretty much figured out 25 or 30 years ago
yep, only 25. plenty of idiots to go around... lol
Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by CitadelBulldogs
<snip>plenty of idiots to go around... lol

Another 5 or 10 years and you'll grow so accustomed to it that there will be no need to highlight it any longer--it's the driving force behind the flow of misinformation and just plain crap on the web...
Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 AM
DBovine
2nd Gear Member

does the T-5 fit into this mix? I saw that you mentioned the T-45 and newer tranny.

Also can you not dump the fluid in with the shifter off if you dont have one of those pumps?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:07 AM
CitadelBulldogs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DBovine
does the T-5 fit into this mix? I saw that you mentioned the T-45 and newer tranny.

Also can you not dump the fluid in with the shifter off if you dont have one of those pumps?
yes t-5 is same way
Old 04-04-2010, 09:20 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

In what way? The T-5 does use Mercon ATF, 3 qts IIRC.

You can, however I don't find anything "easier" about pulling and reinstalling the shifter, as opposed to removing the filler plug.

I use a "gear oil spout" from the FLAPS, extended with a 4 foot length of vinyl tubing. Just stick the tubing in the fill hole, screw the bottle of fluid to the other end and squeeze--it just takes three or four squeeze/release/squeeze cycles to get a quart in...

Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 AM
DBovine
2nd Gear Member

In what way? The T-5 does use Mercon ATF, 3 qts IIRC.
I ment can I use these transmission fluids in my 02 v6 t-5 tranny. I keep hearing about RP syncromesh, but if the mobile 1 stuff works, I can get that locally with ease, and would go that route.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:26 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I ment can I use these transmission fluids in my 02 v6 t-5 tranny. I keep hearing about RP syncromesh, but if the mobile 1 stuff works, I can get that locally with ease, and would go that route.
The Mobil 1 will be fine, as I said earlier I only used the RP because I could get it near cost...
Old 04-04-2010, 12:47 PM
yellow40th
1st Gear Member

i used valvoline high mileage atf in mine. im a mechanic and we had alot of it laying around so i put it in, and i do believe my level was low which is why i had a noticeable improvement.

but mine also took a little more than 4 quarts to fill

Quick Reply: best thing ive done so far to the car