4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Want reliable power from GT. Boost or top-end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Case in point Nitrous dyno runs being 150-200 more TQ than horsepower. If nitrous really created 200 more pounds of tq at the rear then vortech nor kenne bell would sell a damn thing.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Power is not really power...blower power is different than turbo power is different n/a power. Numbers being the same, they will all make different kinds of power. So saying power is power is somewhat narrow-minded...no offense.
I didnt say its the same kind of power... Im saying I dont care how you get your numbers or how much you do or dont spend. all that matters is if you win or not in my book. I dont care if a turbo'd cobra loses to a KB cobra or if a nitrous heads n cam car beats them both. what does it matter? all kool set ups to me. I respect all of them, I understand the preferences but i wouldn't say I think its better to have _____ vs _____ . I have a blower, if I ever get beat by an NA 2v ill give my man a thumbs up and go about my day. I def wouldnt go home and try to sell my **** because of it. Im just tired of chevy guys saying ford sucks and they need a blower ect... no biggy, everyone has their own opinion. I digg that

Last edited by Dteal23; 04-07-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Dteal23
I didnt say its the same kind of power... Im saying I dont care how you get your numbers or how much you do or dont spend. all that matters is if you win or not in my book. I dont care if a turbo'd cobra loses to a KB cobra or if a nitrous heads n cam car beats them both. what does it matter? all kool set ups to me. I respect all of them, I understand the preferences but i wouldn't say I think its better to have _____ vs _____ . I have a blower, if I ever get beat by an NA 2v ill give my man a thumbs up and go about my day. I def wouldnt go home and try to sell my **** because of it. Im just tired of chevy guys saying ford sucks and they need a blower ect... no biggy, everyone has their own opinion. I digg that
It wasnt aimed at you, it was more aimed at what mustangntriangle said. I mean given variances in how each car is setup can win or lose a race. Ive seen nazman from SVTP(who is running an n/a setup in an 99/01 cobra) race a termie and beat the termie, and im pretty sure that he wasnt running 500rwhp to keep up with a termie. I think his setup was the FR500 cams and stuff and i think that the termie had an upper pulley putting down upper 4xxrwhp. Looking for the video now...
Old 04-08-2010, 12:46 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
^^^ I disagree this you here. 370 > 350 power is power more you have the faster you will go all things being equal like driver ability, etc.
LOL id bet you a months pay that at the track a 350rwhp NA car would wax the hell out of a 370RWHP centri car..
Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

^You said it not me!!! But thats what ive been getting at...
Old 04-08-2010, 01:08 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

cool thread! Alot of diff views.

I want a N/A car, but this mustang is my daily driver. When I get myself a gas saver I wouldnt mind, in fact I would love it, but for now, I'm aiming at a twin-screw. My engine only has about 27k miles so it'd be safe. I'm definitely an all motor kinda guy, but money talks and bs walks.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:28 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
^You said it not me!!! But thats what ive been getting at...
Hell you got guys with 300hp("Trevor"), 320ish N/A cars pulling low 12s all day. Most people with centries are praying for mid to low 12s with more power. Very rarely do I see people with less than 400hp post up sub 12second time slips that have a centri as there PA.

Power is not power.. Its the power curve thats important.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Hell you got guys with 300hp("Trevor"), 320ish N/A cars pulling low 12s all day. Most people with centries are praying for mid to low 12s with more power. Very rarely do I see people with less than 400hp post up sub 12second time slips that have a centri as there PA.

Power is not power.. Its the power curve thats important.
how are you going to use trev as an example? first off his car has weight reduction, second he can drive like no other, and when he runs his car i THINK (not for sure) that he is slicks and skinnys... u tellin me a centri blown car with weight reduction, same driver, and slicks/skinnys hittin mid/low 12s? no sir. im not trying to argue with you but you know that guy/car isn't the average joe at the track. i can say that there are guys with cams+boltons that are still in the 13's... Ive seen 2v's with a centri @ 8-10#, slicks, 410's, and driver mod go 11'40s... now we are back to square 1. I get what you are saying tho HOSS.

im just saying to me it doesnt matter what you do to your car if its a good set up then it is what it is. ive read on here over and over people that are looking for more power that say "well anyone can slap on a blower or nitrous blah blah blah..." ok I guess us guys with superchargers/ spray are less kool. right....
Old 04-08-2010, 01:58 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

i used his car as an example because its an extreme case. But even still.. you have h/c/i cars with less hp than a centri car going = to if not faster down the 1320 in more than a few cases. I dont think iv seen a slip from a centri owner break into the 11s with under 400hp on this board in a while... a long while. Most everyone who goes to the track is on at least a drag radial when your blown/or h/c/i..so thats a wash IMO.

I would be curious to pool together times from the h/c/i ppl on here and the centri owners.. i bet the times are a lot closer than ppl would think. Given = drivers/traction.. id put a TF head/c/i bolt on car vs any centri 2v under 400hp anyday. The torque curve on an all motor car is just..better IMO.

When I was looking at cams, I did a lot of curve analysis for different grinds. I also looked at a few blown applications and n/a applications just for curiosities sake. the centri cars build boost gradually(as most everyone knows) and the actual area under the curve is VERY similar to an all motors curve after I summed up the points. I wish I had all the excel graphs I generated from doing this. It was pretty interesting.

Last edited by H0SS302; 04-08-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

I totally agree with you... when I said power is power I meant like what ever way you decide to go, if its a good set up then I respect it. how many people say "I dont want spray its the cheap way or anyoone can do that" ect... Its like hating on a guy that said F it ill just spend a few hundred bucks and spray my **** to the moon. I really like the NA idea but like I wouldnt bash a FI set up (not refering to you, just sayin) ya know? my goal is to have 500 hp I dont have the money or brains to do it NA lol

Quick Reply: Want reliable power from GT. Boost or top-end?