4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

If your car is a DD and it's a 5 speed is it bad to...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:58 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

I never shift before 2500.. Usually at like 3000 just cuz I'm not trying to waste gas lol..
Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake
60 MPH in 3rd will be right near peak torque, pretty much where you want to be. 60 MPH in 2nd? Well you'll be somewhere near the rev limiter. There's no reason to be afraid of the rev limiter, it's there to prevent the engine from being overspun, it's well within safe limits. You'd be surprised at how durable the motors are... last time I was at the track I overspun mine a bit (I have my rev limiter turned off) and ended up at 6500-6800 RPM in the water box momentarily to no ill effect. On the stock cam there's just no power up that high anyway - even with boost.

No way, boost is addicting haha

Edit: And +1 for being gentle while the engine's cold. I don't romp on it in the least till it's all warmed up, I keep a 2500 rpm 1/3 throttle limit.
cool,rather be safe than sorry...ill keep that in mind next time someone is being a ***** lol

what speed would be too fast to drop it into 3rd and pedal to the floor?....just for referance
Old 04-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by noroofonthecoupe
hahaha alright guys I get it....I guess it was the exhaust making me hesitate, that and its my first 5 speed. My 01 gt vert that was an auto, man I'd put that thing into over drive and literally floor it all the way till the speedo was at it's end (no b/s), but Im not that great and shifting fast and I didn't know how high I should rev it. But question; when do most of you shift at 1st gear? Not when your racing or showing off just daily driving? Cause it's screams at 2-2.5 (well mine does with my few bolt on's), so Im wondering when it's normal to shift just getting around not trying to race or anything

You never want to put power on the Over-Drive gear. It is NOT intended to be raced in at all. It is simply an emissions-friendly cruising gear. It does not operate like your first three gears at all....it is a band gear which also happens to share the 1-2 servo. So burn up your OD gear on the high way and your 1-2 shift will start slipping and missing, OOPS time to rebuild. When doing WOT pulls with a 4R70W you should leave overdrive turned off. You should be good until 110-115 in the 3rd gear. If you need to drop out of or go into OD at high speeds take your foot completely off the gas and let it drop in/out.

BTW, please for the love of god go out and at least shift @5,000 into 2nd and third today. That speedo dont redline until 5800 for a reason, and it isnt to look cute.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

OP Simply put - The Mustang is built to get the sh*t driven out of it. Much like the Prius is built strictly for fuel economy.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:45 AM
noroofonthecoupe
Gimme a cupcake & a pat on the head

Yeah I don't have my 01 auto gt anymore just saying...but ya Im gonna get on the pony this summer, its nice out and its time to gallop!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
RyanK
2nd Gear Member

I didnt read through the whole thread but ill say till the motor warms up shift at 2k, then romp on it, end if theres cute girls at a stop light, let the rears smoke and ride off like a bad a$$
Old 04-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I give my car hell all the time so I can hear the Whine!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:54 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by noroofonthecoupe
I love this car, and I am a broke college student so Im being cautious. I used to have an 01 gt vert (it was an auto), I used to rip that thing a new one on the highway ( I can honestly say I've pegged the speedo needle on that one completely)...but this is my first 5 speed and it's louder then a motha when I start to rev high (I know it's just the x-pipe/other bolt ons) I just get nervous with that plastic intake manifold I've heard horror story's about it.
broke college student here as well and I occasionally drive the **** out of my car. no worries...
Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 PM
jmn444
1st Gear Member

I push mine to 6k daily... several times...

just dont downshift too far, the rev limiter will NOT help keep the motor from spinning way past redline if you throw it in too low of a gear for your speed.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicMustang143
Much like the Prius is built strictly for fuel economy.
And the ocassional sudden WOT acceleration. Probly has a hidden turbo so Toyota could call it "under rated" @ 8.5 RWHP.

Quick Reply: If your car is a DD and it's a 5 speed is it bad to...