4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Its a Beautiful Day

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

very nice deals bro
Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I'm so happy too.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

OP, why did you go with such a soft spring rate in the front??? I never though about running any less than a 200-225lb spring rate up front. Ox when he was on here used to run a 225lb spring for the front of his car and his had 665rwhp. Just a question for ya. I think it might be a little light.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:52 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Drag racing, trevor ran a 150lb i think
Old 04-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
OP, why did you go with such a soft spring rate in the front??? I never though about running any less than a 200-225lb spring rate up front. Ox when he was on here used to run a 225lb spring for the front of his car and his had 665rwhp. Just a question for ya. I think it might be a little light.
Its honestly not all that soft. I could have gone 150lb and been just fine. If it was 175lb normal spring up front that would be ridiculous but considering I am moving it to the coil over location its fine.

From Maximum Motorsports "Q. How do I compare a Mustang front coil-over spring rate to a conventional Mustang spring in the stock location? A. The spring rates must be converted into wheel rates. The wheel rate is the spring rate measured at the wheel. The conversion is done through the use of what's called the motion ratio. For a stock Fox Mustang front suspension, the wheel rate is 25% of the stock location spring's rate. For example, an 800 lb/in stock location spring has a wheel rate of 200 lb/in. For a coil-over suspension, the wheel rate is approximately 90% of the coil-over spring's rate."

Granted I'm not driving a fox body but essentially the suspension on a Mustang has been the same since 1979. So the stock 450lb springs end up being about 113lb wheel rate springs and the 175lb coil over springs end up being about 157lb wheel rate springs.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:39 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

No, im well aware of that fact...ive done my research on suspensions and am doing my full suspension this summer...hopefully. Full coilovers on all 4 corners with bilstein shocks and struts, tubular k, delrin bushing kit for the IRS thats going in the car. I know my suspension. But what im saying is that just because it will work, i think it would have been wiser to go with something a little bit stronger. But what you have will work just fine.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:09 PM
JerseyTrueBlue
1st Gear Member

Didn't know you could run coils with the stock k, my bad.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

No, im well aware of that fact...ive done my research on suspensions and am doing my full suspension this summer...hopefully. Full coilovers on all 4 corners with bilstein shocks and struts, tubular k, delrin bushing kit for the IRS thats going in the car. I know my suspension. But what im saying is that just because it will work, i think it would have been wiser to go with something a little bit stronger. But what you have will work just fine.
I am not much of a "twisties" guy and the advantages of 175lb springs far outweigh the negatives. I honestly debated going to 150lb springs but my front end isn't light enough yet for that to be a wise decision. 175lb springs are actually pretty ideal for my street/strip usage. If I took corners by more then the designated speed on an off ramp or something then maybe, but as is, I am fine with my straight line performance.

Originally Posted by JerseyTrueBlue
Didn't know you could run coils with the stock k, my bad.
Happens to the best of us. I know I have had my fair share of "this is how it works" and then immediately been proven wrong so no worries. At least you learned something :-)
Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, when I change out for coilovers, I'll be running 315lb of wheel rate, which is over 2x stock. That will pretty awesome. I like taking the twisties and being able to go in a straight line. But yea, i enjoy street driving, which consists of straights and turns. So i'll take handling and the ability of straight line rather than just straight line performance that suffers in the turns. Just personal preference. but good pick ups man
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Yea, when I change out for coilovers, I'll be running 315lb of wheel rate, which is over 2x stock. That will pretty awesome. I like taking the twisties and being able to go in a straight line. But yea, i enjoy street driving, which consists of straights and turns. So i'll take handling and the ability of straight line rather than just straight line performance that suffers in the turns. Just personal preference. but good pick ups man
Because of changing the location of the spring it will actually improve my cornering ability over stock, just wont do it nearly as much as your 300+lb springs. You will gain a HUGE improvement in your ability to take corners where as mine will only be minimal. Either way though, as long as you end up happy with the results you get, that is what is important.

Quick Reply: Its a Beautiful Day