4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

KB Tear-down

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Default KB Tear-down

As I take apart my engine, the case against KB gets much stronger. Not only is my engine totally FUBAR'd, but it seems the blower is as well. Pictured below is spark plug #2 found on cylinder 2 on the driver's side of the engine. I completely removed all bolts that were holding down the blower, and it still will not come off after quite an effort from two able-bodied dudes. I have reason to believe that the supercharger is being held down by metal shrapnel of some sort.

Right from the KB website: "Note: Our 2.1L 9 psi kit chips are dead accurate and do not require custom tuning."

^^^ if this were the case, how come Mike claimed that I should not have relied on their tune for my car? Furthermore, since there's a spot on the chip form for longtubes, they clearly do give out tunes to cars with LTs, as my car is evidence.

Anyways, I'm pretty pissed... the blower is warrantied, so at the very least I ought to get a new one, given that a "dead accurate tune" blew my motor.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:11 PM
invisableflames
1st Gear Member

I hope everything works out for you. I have had lots of trust in all Kenne Bell's information and such, I have always heard good things about them. I hope this is not a reoccurring theme. After being inspired by your install thread on here i purchased a kit for myself and just installed it a week ago...
Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I still see a bolt in the thermostat, I thought both thermostat bolts went into the head. Check again for any bolts you missed, there shouldnt be a chunk that bad to prevent removal.....

yup can see the coolant passages and bolt pattern perfect here

Last edited by a_penquin; 04-21-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

I would not trust kenne bells tune a buddy of mine had his motor blown while on the kb tune.

It really does suck that happened hope you get everything figures out.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 PM
invisableflames
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_penquin
I still see a bolt in the thermostat, I thought both thermostat bolts went into the head. Check again for any bolts you missed, there shouldnt be a chunk that bad to prevent removal.....
There is two bolts holding the thermostat in on the KB intake, they do not go into the block though. There is one hiding behind it though, but I'm pretty sure he know that.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

im curious to see how KB handles this, that does suck horribly, I hope they buy you a new shortblock and blower. It seems you were running everything within the guidelines you were given to run "safely" and i use that term oh so loosely.

goodluck.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by invisableflames
There is two bolts holding the thermostat in on the KB intake, they do not go into the block though. There is one hiding behind it though, but I'm pretty sure he know that.
^^ yeah exactly. I removed the one bolt on the thermostat that taps into the cylinder head.

Thanks for the support guys.. I hope this works out alright!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 AM
pcs
4th Gear Member

good luck, i personally do like kenne bell blower , have seen a hand full of their blowers failing on a few lightnings and 1 cobra. goes to show u that u cant trust a can tune. every engine is different not to mention weather and elevation differences around the USA. cant have a spot on tube that can cover every stang engine with their blower.
should have gone centri =) lol
Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 AM
invisableflames
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thunderhorse
^^ yeah exactly. I removed the one bolt on the thermostat that taps into the cylinder head.

Thanks for the support guys.. I hope this works out alright!
There is one hiding to the left of the thermo between it and the head unit. If you remember it was installed in the lower intake from KB because otherwise the head unit would have prevented it from being inserted into the intake. I have confidence you removed all the bolts but figured i would say something seeing i just did the install, and when i get frustrated i seem to overlook things sometimes.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

I'm with everyones else here thunderhorse. Double check to make sure you have all the bolts out.
Also, make sure you open a thread on modularfords in the kenne bell section. Mike and the guys stay pretty active over there.

Quick Reply: KB Tear-down