4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

KB Tear-down

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Quick99
1st Gear Member

Gonna be pretty tough to win that case in court. The car ran ok before it went to the tuners. If any of the parameters were altered from the KB tune.........KB would be off the hook.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:34 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
oh wait wait wait... I guess I didn't know the back story here. This thing came apart on the dyno after someone else had already opened KB's tuned?

The tuner should have shut this thing down immediately if he was monitoring things correctly.

If the engine took out the blower because of what your tuner did... you could have a long road ahead of you.
I don't know if that is the case or not, that's why I'm asking. I mean I just don't see the connection to "car fine on street" to "blown on the dyno after 0 changes to tune." I just feel like there had to be SOME kind of change between the original tune, and the initial pull. I could be completely wrong.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:19 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
oh wait wait wait... I guess I didn't know the back story here. This thing came apart on the dyno after someone else had already opened KB's tuned?

The tuner should have shut this thing down immediately if he was monitoring things correctly.

If the engine took out the blower because of what your tuner did... you could have a long road ahead of you.
No Eric Brooks didn't do anything to it.. not to mention he has a close relationship with KB, and that this was the first, literally the first car that has ever blown up on him. He hooked it up to the A/F wideband and then he went in for a baseline. He went half throttle on 1st-3rd, then in 4th the monitor read "pig rich", which cleared him for a WOT shot. If you listen in the vid, there's no ping or detonation whatsoever... the thing just goes. And no, I don't expect KB to pick up the tab for the engine either. But some help with a new supercharger I do expect, especially since I am under the 1 year warranty and I literally did everything they said in the instructions etc.

here's the video if you missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mHKvLsI4w
Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

That's brutal dude... hey.. at least you didn't half *** it! You blew that thing up real good!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I had not previously viewed the video, however IMHO this was nothing more than the failure of one or both rods (it could be one let go and took the other with it), or maybe a shattered piston (the hypereutectic alloy stock piston are somewhat brittle)--likely because one or both were loaded beyond their capacity to cope. This may be because of a manufacturing defect, some previous incidental flirtation with the limits, or repetitive stress from the time the KB was installed up to the dyno run, or just because once in a while shìt happens.

Force applied to the piston (work), which is translated to torque by the crankshaft, is what causes this sort of failure--not horsepower. Horsepower is work done over time, it's a measure of power not applied force.

In short, I do not believe it was anything to do with the tune that precipitated this failure. What I observed was a nice, typical, smooth run-up--right up until the rod(s) or whatever mechanical component let go. There was no big bang, or any other indication of detonation or other tune related event, just a sort of thud/"whoops" and things stopped turning.

One of those "things always go well, right up until they don't" sequence of events...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Lets be honest, the car wouldnt have blown up without the blower. Kb should give him a new blower if it inst fubar'd, and maybe atleast give him a few $$ on the new motor too, because Mike has also been giving my Friend alot of Crap about His MAch 1 not running right on KB's tune.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 AM
neubstang
1st Gear Member

Never use the KB tune, always get a custom dyno tune (no chips/switch chips). When I tried to do an initial start up after installing my KB, the car would not even run. The first thing to do after you open up the box that the KB comes in, is to take the chip and stomp it on the floor. If you have nothing through your pan or block, it's probably a piston or connecting rod failure? Don't put another stock used motor back in the car, even though that's the cheapest fix. I got a built shortblock from Livernois, which gave me a nice foundation.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
In short, I do not believe it was anything to do with the tune that precipitated this failure. What I observed was a nice, typical, smooth run-up--right up until the rod(s) or whatever mechanical component let go. There was no big bang, or any other indication of detonation or other tune related event, just a sort of thud/"whoops" and things stopped turning.

One of those "things always go well, right up until they don't" sequence of events...
I agree with Cliffy on this one it doesn't seem to be tuning related at all, it just appeared to be a mechanical failure. It happens, and its never fun when it does.

I hope Kenne Bell does help you pick up the tab on the blower. Good Luck getting everything sorted out.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

holy crap look who it is!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I think I may have seen this person before.....

Quick Reply: KB Tear-down