Seafoam! - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #21
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Its crazy how much i have learned on here since i been a member.

But dont worry sxynerd people listen to you too
02stang2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #22
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02stang2113 View Post
Its crazy how much i have learned on here since i been a member.

But dont worry sxynerd people listen to you too
Me too, if I knew it all I would not still be working at age 62...
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #23
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

So I take it, that this one time deal would be ok? Considering I don't/didn't know the maintenance of the car.

I used synthetic oil, which I'm not sure was the right choice, I've since developed a small leak at the front driver's side corner of the oil pan, so that's my next step and then a built auto tranny. The stock one is starting to slightly slip and stick in first and second.
idcoocheimonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #24
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't
Sxynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #25
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by idcoocheimonster View Post
So I take it, that this one time deal would be ok? Considering I don't/didn't know the maintenance of the car.
There's nothing "wrong" with it, it's just not needed or even desirable (IMHO) on a properly maintained engine. That said, from what you describe your engine may have benefitted from the snake oil.

Quote:
I used synthetic oil, which I'm not sure was the right choice, I've since developed a small leak at the front driver's side corner of the oil pan, so that's my next step and then a built auto tranny. The stock one is starting to slightly slip and stick in first and second.
Oh my goodness, I am in for it here...

Over the years I have had a 50/50 experience with changing over from "dino" to synthetic oil. To sum it up, most higher mileage, virgin (I.e. never broken open), engines I have attempted to switch over have developed weeps and/or leaks when run on synthetic oil. This is because the molecules of synthetic oil are smaller than those of dino oil--much like R-134a vs. R-11.

The smaller molecule size means that seals nd other barriers that held their own with "dino" oil may weep or outright leak with synthetic oil--you have just experienced this.

The good news is that switching back to "dino" oil will more often than not seal things up again; and that although synthetic oil has many properties that make it technically superior to "dino juice", most of those are irrelevant to day-to-day internal combustion engine lubrication requirements. That said, let it be know I run synthetic in my '03 GT.

Ny advice is switch back to conventional oil at the next change, and if you have 100k+ miles use one of the "maxlife" formulations.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #26
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I love oil Topics. :0) This isn't about the topic at hand but a good read, none the less.

This is my favorites oil article.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #27
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxynerd View Post
Damn, I must be too damn arrogant for anyone to listen to me. No one believes me but cliff pops in and it's golden words. I can't wait till I'm "well seasoned in years", lol.

I'm smart I promise. I have degrees and everything.
I was listening to you as well if that's what you were talking about. I was being lazy and didn't feel like linking both of you guys. I think you and cliff are some of the most helpful and intelligent people on here. I apologize for my hard headed-ness. You guys along with a lot of other people on the forum have taught me a lot and helped me a lot with my car.
tdcalhoun89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #28
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89 View Post
I was listening to you as well if that's what you were talking about. I was being lazy and didn't feel like linking both of you guys. I think you and cliff are some of the most helpful and intelligent people on here. I apologize for my hard headed-ness. You guys along with a lot of other people on the forum have taught me a lot and helped me a lot with my car.

Woh Woh woh, I put my pants on just like the rest of ya, one leg at a time. ...except once my pants are on, I make gold records.

Last edited by Sxynerd; 04-28-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #29
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

Cliff, I was aware of the smaller molecules. I just decided to switch for peace of mind really. And if it means having to change a gasket here and there, I'm ok with that. The valve cover gaskets are brand new, that's one thing I noticed, So changing out the oil pan one isn't much of a problem.
idcoocheimonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #30
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Have you ever changed an oil pan gasket before? lol If you had, you wouldn't be so, "Eh whatever"