4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

heads, cams, and MA emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
jr50rider
1st Gear Member

Update: my car failed todays inspection for the second time in a month. this time they water temp wouldn't get hot enough to engage there computer sensor B.S. water came up to 172 and apparently in Mass it needs to be a min. of 176 degrees to pass. WTF!!! I am thinking of selling this car and moving due to this process.

anyways a new 195 degree t'stat went in today and i have another appointment on thursday.

Mass. sucks...
Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

+1 on the getting the hell out of Massachusetts!

-1 on selling it
Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
jr50rider
1st Gear Member

this is getting re-donk-ulous at this point. i drive around looking at all the other P.O.S. cars falling apart with stickers. my car is going on 13 years old, 51k on it absolutely mint.. and i have been there 3 times already, spent upwards of 1k in mods to try and get it to pass. if thursday doesn't work, i am going to rock the rejection sticker proudly...

seriously what is the problem with this state...
Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

What is wrong with Massachusetts?! LOL where do you want me to start? Should I start with the Red Sox? LOLOL
Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jr50rider
this is getting re-donk-ulous at this point. i drive around looking at all the other P.O.S. cars falling apart with stickers. my car is going on 13 years old, 51k on it absolutely mint.. and i have been there 3 times already, spent upwards of 1k in mods to try and get it to pass. if thursday doesn't work, i am going to rock the rejection sticker proudly...

seriously what is the problem with this state...
...you just need to find a one man shop that doesn't care and will let you go ahaha. I'm lucky to have been going to the same guy in my town who (if no one else is standing around) pretty much lets anything go unless there is a serious issue/problem. Is it a rule/law that you have to go back to the same shop that failed you until you pass?? If not go somewhere else.

He has no control over manipulating the computer anyways, so if my car throws a code, I can't get away with it since there is no "do-overs".
Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

That is PHUCKING RIDICULOUS!!!! Jeez, even in the counties that require an emissions inspection here, will pass you if you have made 500$ of effort to fix the car and have a receipt. What is the rejection sticker, does it prevent you from being streetable, or getting insurance or what?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 AM
xterm11
1st Gear Member

Are you going to a dealership or a small garage? It's been my experience that the smaller garages are more leanient (sp?) with stickers than a full blown dealership.

Originally Posted by devongarver
That is PHUCKING RIDICULOUS!!!! Jeez, even in the counties that require an emissions inspection here, will pass you if you have made 500$ of effort to fix the car and have a receipt. What is the rejection sticker, does it prevent you from being streetable, or getting insurance or what?
The rejection sticker is valid for 30. Basically it lets you keep the car on the road to get it fixed. Then if you go back to the same place that gave you the rejection sticker they will re-test it again 1 more time for no charge.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
before last year it was just a slap on the wrist and you would get fines if you didnt fix it. Now since a majority of the people cant afford to fix the problems mass thought it was a good idea to count it as a moving violation towards u so not only do you have to fix the problem you also get docked on your insurance, good thing is RI's border is 20ft away from me so changing states is easy
Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 AM
jr50rider
1st Gear Member

i went to a local garage and his system thru a red flag up because the o2 sensors were off. so i can't go back until i get the system (registry) cleared at the state inspection station. it is all crap, just a game to pork us / me for more money...

it is almost comical at this point.

from what i hear this type of plug in inspection goes for car 98 and newer, therefore, my next weekend car will be older than that.

funny how my harley with straight pipes, no signals, etc. passes no problem...
Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

It's anything 96 and newer I believe..when they switched over to OBDII. My brothers 99 Dakota R/T passed with L/T's high flow cats and full exhaust with edelbrock intake...but almsot failed for the wipers not working. It ended up being just a plug undone when we did the intake swap we forgot to re-connect.

Quick Reply: heads, cams, and MA emissions