4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Brake pad ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I need a decent pad that doesnt dust...so you think that ceramic is for me Jazzer?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I run Hawk HPS pads at all four corners and minimal dust and no noise. They grab VERY well and have NO FEAR of stopping in time on the AX course. I have not run any other Hawk pads, but did quite a bit of research prior to choosing them and were the best fit for me. I debated the ceramic ones, but I will pick up a set of them next time 'round and give them a spin.

Jazzer
Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

So HPS pads dont dust bad? Think they are good for street/dd use?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Correct....

I have been running them for a few months now and have no issues and minimal dust. When I installed my Brembo upgrade a couple years back, I think the pads on them were either Hawk HPS or VERY similar, as I noticed no difference after going with the current HPS pads.

Addendum to my above post....

Contact Hawk and talk to the guy there, I forget his name, but will be happy to help you figure out what is best. I forget now the reason why I did NOT go ceramic this time around, but I remember now that there was a specific reason even though I was heavily into AX at the time of purchase and mentioned this. Ceramic are going to be fine, but the HPS may/may not be a better choice for you, so talk to Jazzer's brake-pad pepes

Jazzer
Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Thanks Jazzer! You always come through with good advice for me!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
So HPS pads dont dust bad? Think they are good for street/dd use?
HPS are great pads for street/dd use. They still dust more than I'd like tho but they are nowhere near as bad as brembo's sport pads and baer sport touring.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

duralast has lifetime warranty after first purchase!

ANyway, I bought the ford racing C/D rotors and Hawk performance pads. I felt a diffirence when I stopped hard but I guess my suspension can't handle the fast stops because my car dips horribly. I hate that. What would you guys suggest for my car to stop doing that?

And these pads are great when you consider very low dust.

Last edited by nascrchi; 06-04-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
duralast has lifetime warranty after first purchase!

ANyway, I bought the ford racing C/D rotors and Hawk performance pads. I felt a diffirence when I stopped hard but I guess my suspension can't handle the fast stops because my car dips horribly. I hate that. What would you guys suggest for my car to stop doing that?

And these pads are great when you consider very low dust.
Its nose diving because mustangs are so heavy on the fronts. move your battery to the back and find a way to take other weight off the front.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:52 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Its nose diving because mustangs are so heavy on the fronts. move your battery to the back and find a way to take other weight off the front.
Th battery relocation kit is something I want. I was thinking maybe some suspension mods? Maybe even the AC delete but it's too hot here in the desert.

Also, If I minimize the nose diving, will the car stop faster because of the less weight. I feel like the car takes forever to stop from 60-0 and to be honest Im blaming it on my stock suspension. All I have is eibach springs.

Damn,total hijack, my bad teej! I just don't like starting threads for short answered questions like these.

Last edited by nascrchi; 06-05-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
Th battery relocation kit is something I want. I was thinking maybe some suspension mods? Maybe even the AC delete but it's too hot here in the desert.

Also, If I minimize the nose diving, will the car stop faster because of the less weight. I feel like the car takes forever to stop from 60-0 and to be honest Im blaming it on my stock suspension. All I have is eibach springs.

Damn,total hijack, my bad teej! I just don't like starting threads for short answered questions like these.
car won't stop faster but the you won't unload your rear if you're braking to enter a corner. Best way to solve nose dive is 1) stiffer springs 2) better weight distribution. Just keep in mind that 50/50 weight is not ideal with our cars.

Quick Reply: Brake pad ?'s