4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

jegs lca

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

Default jegs lca

can get a set of >these< cheap , are they worth getting , anyone ever use them? thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 03:45 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

they look to be the same as the summits... if thats the case dont get them... dimebag has ripped bushings out of them left and right...
Old 06-12-2010, 04:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Polyurethane bushings are much cheaper to make than the molded rubber bushing used by the auto manufacturers, if done properly (good castings, proper resilience, well machined, etc.) they can provide improved handling and a generally more "tight" suspension--if done improperly they can suck big time...

Old 06-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

My1st... those are a HORRIBLE DESIGN!

Please do NOT put those on your car and ESPECIALLY if you drive it on the street. If it were a STRICTLY 1/4 mile ride, I would have no issue with design, but would guess they will not hold up as others have mentioned.

What are the goals for your ride and why do you want new LCA's?

Jazzer
Old 06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

well with you and cliff chiming in ,its safe to say i will not be buying these ,even cheap as i can get them for. i do alot of 1/4 mile run and less and less street time , but thats manly work related. so i figure at some point ill need some lcas and for the price thought id check on those.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:44 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have been in trouble lately for putting forth "my opinion" about a number of things, nonetheless my experience with polyurethane bushings has been that they are great for track-only cars, or for weekend cruisers, however for a DD they are more trouble than they are worth.

If they don't squeak/creak/groan they they are disintegrating in 10k to 20k miles. Properly specified, cast, and machined urethane can be great--problem is that a good number of after market urethane bushes are not "properly specified, cast, and machined" and turn to shìt in short order...
Old 06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

its not a DD for sure occasional weekend cruise mostly ,but more and more 1/4 at a time
Old 06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Cool, then the crappy urethane bushings should be OK...
Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

i think im gonna have to pass on these and just get a lil more cash for something better ,thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I agree with the Cliffster in his #6 post

.... but will add the reason I don't like them and consider them a horrible design. With the OEM LCA's, you have a soft rubber bushing at each end and a somewhat flexable arm itself, to allow a reasonable amount of articulation of the rear axle during body roll in a hard corner. With this articulation, the arms need to twist laterally and, along with the soft rubber bushings, do this with some success. With an aftermarket LCA design, such as the one linked, the arm is now solid so it will over no flexability at all. Compound this issue with hard poly, or the like, bushings at both ends, you have an arm that greatly resists ANY articulation of any kind. This leads to damaged torque-boxes and/or damaged bushings so the LCA's don't do a good job in ANY circumstance.

My recommendation would be an aftermarket arm with a spherical end and a poly bushing, or the like, on the other end. This will completely free up the axle in this location to move as it was intended, but not "really" designed. I would recommend one of the two following arms, depending on your needs:

UPR poly/spherical LCA's

MM HD's

Depending on your driving needs, I would say one of these would be best for you. If you are a DD and don't hit the 1/4 mile with stickeys, the UPR's are fine. If you plan on hitting the launch-pad, I say MM's. If you are REALLY 1/4 mile focused and with stickeys... I would say MM XD's due ti stronger design of dual-spherical.

See my Official Supsension Guide for a more in-depth description of such things

Jazzer