4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is there a turbo for the street cars you would like to see tested?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:57 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
Because generally when you slap a turbo on a car like a new edge mustang you are going big power/gains. Turbo on DD'ers is great !! I love turbo charged 4 bangers to drive around for a commute, they are fun and convienent but on a Mustang I would want one to put me over 500hp plus some for the cost deficit.
But that's my point.. there is no reason you can't turbo a mustang and make 420hp and 530tq and not enjoy that. I don't believe you have to reach a certain power level for a turbo to become practical.

The supercharger is probably the cheapest way to go, but I personally prefer the benefits of a turboed car over a supercharged car (yes i realize my mustang is supercharged).

I just wish people would not associate turbos only with big power. You can have plenty of success with moderate builds as well(stock long blocks).

Oh and to the OP... sorry for mucking up your thread man... I still am very interested in seeing your turbo comparison information.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Great points Teej and Moose, I would just think if a person is gonna spend all that money on a turbo kit then you mine as well build the block and shoot for more. But to each there own and Im still looking forward to seeing some test OP lol.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM
turbodano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
But that's my point.. there is no reason you can't turbo a mustang and make 420hp and 530tq and not enjoy that. I don't believe you have to reach a certain power level for a turbo to become practical.

The supercharger is probably the cheapest way to go, but I personally prefer the benefits of a turboed car over a supercharged car (yes i realize my mustang is supercharged).

I just wish people would not associate turbos only with big power. You can have plenty of success with moderate builds as well(stock long blocks).
Your points are the reason for my op. I would like to know what people are interested in seeing at the dd street car level. What is a common dd street car? Some people like blowers others like superchargers, I like both.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by turbodano
Your points are the reason for my op. I would like to know what people are interested in seeing at the dd street car level. What is a common dd street car? Some people like blowers others like superchargers, I like both.
Those two things are the same...

and I would like to see a stock compression forged shortblock car with a 61mm turbo at 8lbs, 12lbs, and 15lbs and probably higher boost to see where it runs out of power.

Then try the next larger size with ported heads or trickflow heads, a 66 at the same boost levels and then try to max it out to see where it would benefit from a larger turbo.

Then move to a 76mm turbo with a full built motor with TFS heads and aggressive turbo cams to see where you can get your intake manifold to max out(and I'm pretty sure that this setup would max out your intake manifold).

Last edited by teej281; 06-17-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

If you're going to spend all that money, wouldn't you be expecting potentially large gains? I personally would not go through all that without first building the engine up. I tend to agree with TJ here on this one, but I guess I'm assuming if you're going to F/I a car, you're aiming for 450+hp (anything over 350hp is a lot to me right now) on a very conservative tune. If I was to go the F/I route, I would go the turbo route and I would run it on low boast simply because I would kill my car and/or myself with that much power right now. I would be perfectly having a car making 450hp and running low boast. I would eventually have the car tuned to run at a higher psi though. I don't think turbos should be associated with "big power". I see nothing wrong with putting a turbo on a car like ours and not making monster numbers, I would do it simply for the torque curve. This thread has a lot of potential right now...
Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I guess I don't necessarily agree with that statement... turbo cars typically have a much more broad tq curve... that usually comes on a lot sooner than a centri supercharger.
+juan. Even at 400hp id rather have a turbo....

More efficiency, better torque number. Sign me up.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

^Werd...
Old 06-18-2010, 02:54 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

I'd like to see some 1320 times with different size turbos, whats making the most power in useable range? Yeah my supra dynos at 1600whp but runs 12s lol.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

I have a built motor and I want to go turbo but what's the point if I can't afford a tranny to handle the power?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:34 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You buy the tranny then save for the turbo...or buy the turbo and then break the tranny and let it sit til you can get a transmission that can handle the power you wanna make. Whats your power goal? Find a used 03 cobra T56 and get a 26 spline input shaft and youre good for over 600rwhp.

Quick Reply: Is there a turbo for the street cars you would like to see tested?