4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

BBK long tube header fitment

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:05 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Just get some macs they have no clearance issues
Old 06-27-2010, 03:31 AM
Ravenkil

I just put the BBK headers on a guys car and I had him get a stud kit. It made it a lot easier then trying to get bolts started.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
Just get some macs they have no clearance issues
are they as good as ceramic coated BBK's? Let's assume they're the same price.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
are they as good as ceramic coated BBK's? Let's assume they're the same price.
i dont know about the quality of mac's, but the one thing i personally didn't like about them was that the exhaust ports were not connected like the BBK's. whether or not that has to do with quality, performance, or stability, i am unsure, but to me, it seemed like the BBKs, appearance-wise, looked more durable. once again, these are my own personal opinions and are not based on any personal experience or extensive knowledge of mac's.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
i dont know about the quality of mac's, but the one thing i personally didn't like about them was that the exhaust ports were not connected like the BBK's. whether or not that has to do with quality, performance, or stability, i am unsure, but to me, it seemed like the BBKs, appearance-wise, looked more durable. once again, these are my own personal opinions and are not based on any personal experience or extensive knowledge of mac's.
The ports not being connected really doesnt do anything except allow you to not have to remove your dipstick which is another plus. Its seriously all in the coating you get. Macs are cheaper priced and even though pretty much all the time im all for "ya get with you pay for" they are the only header i believe that can be used on an auto with no clearence issues. Also for manual guys you dont have to loosen the passenger side header to remove your tranny. Basically just get them haha.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=98redstang;7080568]Also for manual guys you dont have to loosen the passenger side header to remove your tranny. QUOTE]

Hmmmm now that's a plus...
Old 06-29-2010, 04:53 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

i've talked to people with BBK LT's who removed the tranny without removing the passenger side header. now they said it was no easy task, but it is possible. if i could do it all over again and could get as good of a deal on macs as i did with my BBK's, i would probably try out macs.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:57 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

also, is there a reason you're set on ceramic coating? you could probably either buy hi-temp ceramic paint for much cheaper, or just stick with chrome. unless you do lengthy road races or hit the dragstrip 20 times in one day, the heat you experience from the chromes won't affect your peformance much, if at all. i personally don't find it to be worth the extra dough, but to each his own
Old 06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Red face

Originally Posted by trailor
also, is there a reason you're set on ceramic coating? you could probably either buy hi-temp ceramic paint for much cheaper, or just stick with chrome. unless you do lengthy road races or hit the dragstrip 20 times in one day, the heat you experience from the chromes won't affect your peformance much, if at all. i personally don't find it to be worth the extra dough, but to each his own
Honestly it was more to protect it from salt and crap as I will be driving this used to be garage queen in the winter :/ I'd hate to put a nice set of headers on and then have them rot off in a few years. I'm close enough to the rust belt that I'm thinking of spending the extra cash.

From what I read the stock system is pretty good and I won't gain much n/a, the only other plus was gas mileage increase/sound, but it probably wont ever offset the cost and pain in the *** I'll have to go through. Maybe I should forget the whole thing all together haha.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:52 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

you will gain a solid 15-20 rwhp, no doubt, which may not justify the price tag, but thats up to you. i couldn't stand how quiet my car was, and they will def. help out with my plans down the road. but yea, now i understand why you want ceramic, but maybe header wrap would be a cheaper solution as well? i dunno, don't have to worry bout much rust here

Quick Reply: BBK long tube header fitment