4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Would you trade your New Edge in on a 11 6er?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:49 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
I lined up against the 3.7 mustang today here in flint, From a dig I flew past him about 3 car lengths. Well by the end of the race he was somewhere about little over a cars length behind me, That was impressive. Im sure the 6 speed helped but the torque is what killed him. I ran a new V6 camaro with a corsa exhaust as well and had him by 2 car lengths the whole time due to weight factor ..... ahhh good ol racing.
Good Kills Congrads Sir
Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
Good Kills Congrads Sir
thanks mane... Im not bragging because both cars are nice but it did make me smile lol. I dunno I just love the car battles that are able to occur now to due new technology. ITs effing sweet to have a limitless era in a driving enthusiasts world these days.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:58 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

A V6????? WHAT!

Personally I think too many people are buying into all the hype of the v6 & thus alot of pepole are acting like the new 2011 Ford Mustang V6 being the greatest thing since the Victoria's Secret catalog.

The truth is that guys who really love to drive (not like, love) will save up a few more months and buy a GT with the new 5.0-liter V8.

Why? .................................

ITS ALL ABOUT THE Torque.

Now you're lighting up your Twitter account prob blasting me furiously typing out something like, "Come on, the new 2011 Ford Mustang's got 305 hp & 31mpg.... ya ya ya. It's wayy faster or just as fast as previous GT's. That thing's got to move out. OH plus... Car and Crack magazine said it's fast. So it must be true"

Im in it for the torque and the feel of a v8 motor. The Mustang V6 just doesn't feel that fast. When you dump 2nd and punch it hard in the head, you're not going to be pinned against the seatback, eyelids peeling from the explosive burst of acceleration. Not in this Mustang. Not with just 280 pound-feet of torque at 4,250 rpm. At 4,250 rpm!you've got to rev past four grand to get there. On the street, this makes it too easy to get caught at the bottom of the tach, out of the V6's lofty power band. Plus, those 280 lb-ft have to push around 3,500 pounds. You do the math brotha

PS: This post is filled with dry-sense of humor.
Well said!

There is nothing that can be done to a V6 (other than a positive displacement blower) to make it have the low-end torque of a V8--and put a real blower on a V8 and it will still be one step-ahead.

There's nothing mystical in any of that, its just that having four pistons pushing on the crank during each revolution will create more go-power than three pistons can. You can spin it (the 6-banger) up and get impressive numbers at the high-end but you'll never get the low-end grunt--just like a V8 can't match the low-end push of a V10, or V12.

My namesake uncle had a 5.3L V12 XKE a long time ago, that pulled like a raped ape at 1200 rpm...
Old 08-22-2010, 01:01 AM
sonicx
speed'n

thanks mane... Im not bragging because both cars are nice but it did make me smile lol. I dunno I just love the car battles that are able to occur now to due new technology. ITs effing sweet to have a limitless era in a driving enthusiasts world these days.
Agreed.... I know kinda how that is. My mustang club tonight got to zip around a local race way up here before the track had their sat night feat. It was quite a thrill (3/8 mi track). It was odd because they didn't require any of us (14 in all) to go thru tech just needed a helmet. But it was fun Did a few laps side by side racing with other stangs? Ya can't beat that right.

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Well said!

There is nothing that can be done to a V6 (other than a positive displacement blower) to make it have the low-end torque of a V8--and put a real blower on a V8 and it will still be one step-ahead.

There's nothing mystical in any of that, its just that having four pistons pushing on the crank during each revolution will create more go-power than three pistons can. You can spin it (the 6-banger) up and get impressive numbers at the high-end but you'll never get the low-end grunt--just like a V8 can't match the low-end push of a V10, or V12.

My namesake uncle had a 5.3L V12 XKE a long time ago, that pulled like a raped ape at 1200 rpm...
Thank You Cliff. I knew it was crazy lol.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:22 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

So? I honestly don't care. Im sorry, I hope that doesn't ruin your night. Okay, there faster? Im fine... If you think your gonna get me upset you aint. Im still happy except with yo momma. You gotta tell her for me to stop wearing the blue lipstick................... my ***** are starting to look like the smurfs. Thank You very much
Ok.. u went from playful fun to elementary jokes.. nice. The point is.. the v8 mentality is stupid. People are to stuck on the v8 that they let the advancement of technology go by the wayside without any form of recognition.

LOL and cliff.. there is something that HAS been done for the V6 in terms of torque. 20RWTq is NOTHING... the new v6 has 40more HP and only 20 less tq... thats a fuggin triumph for a smaller motor.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:51 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Ok.. u went from playful fun to elementary jokes.. nice. The point is.. the v8 mentality is stupid. People are to stuck on the v8 that they let the advancement of technology go by the wayside without any form of recognition.

LOL and cliff.. there is something that HAS been done for the V6 in terms of torque. 20RWTq is NOTHING... the new v6 has 40more HP and only 20 less tq... thats a fuggin triumph for a smaller motor.
I agree, it's nothing short of amazing that they can get that out of a V6--but apply that same technology to a V8 and the V6 loses--so what is the point?

Also, you are talking peak numbers, they are only a very small part of the whole story, and really only applicable if you are planning on always driving it like you just stole it...

This whole discussion is very much like the Camaro vs. Mustang argument that's been ongoing for years:

Camaros have always $$ for $$ been faster than Mustangs--BUT you can make a Mustang fast, there's nothing you can do to make a Camaro look good..

You can make a V6 fast, but there's nothing you can do to make it sound good--or have low-end torque that will rival a V8...
Old 08-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Drove the new 6 and I think I will keep my 8 or any 8 for that matter
Old 08-22-2010, 03:00 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

I won't even read this whole thread because i can sum it up in two words; but to answer your question. Hell no! I love my v8 rumble, I don't care about the mpgs it gets, and did I mention that I love the sound of a v8? I would buy the 2011 GT before a sixxer. If I'm concerned about mpgs I'll buy a fusion hybrid or a fiesta haha
Old 08-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I can't think of anything about a V6 that would make it more desirable than the fun you can have modding a V8. There's hundreds of 2010/2011 model cars that have a lot of technology. But that's not the reason I bought the Mustang I have.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:06 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

I lined up against the 3.7 mustang today here in flint, From a dig I flew past him about 3 car lengths. Well by the end of the race he was somewhere about little over a cars length behind me, That was impressive. Im sure the 6 speed helped but the torque is what killed him. I ran a new V6 camaro with a corsa exhaust as well and had him by 2 car lengths the whole time due to weight factor ..... ahhh good ol racing.
Dont get their hopes up.. your in a 3v GT.

Also check this out... real lack in torque....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA0WZDc0Bxk

The GT was a 5 speed with 4.10s and BBK CAI mid pipe and cat back.

Quick Reply: Would you trade your New Edge in on a 11 6er?