4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Bilsteins vs Konis

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I talked to a tech over at MM (Jason) on the phone and it didn't go too well...

I told him the situation and he was saying i should get new springs and "we" should go from there...

He said its never a good idea to cut springs and that it doesn't increase spring rate (which i thought it does)

When i asked him about bilsteins or koni's, he didn't even give me an answer. Rather he beat around the bush and kept going on with how i needed to get springs and then we can work from there..

Overall i wasn't pleased with what he was telling me and i felt as though he was trying to just sell me MM stuff bc he was saying to go on the MM site and check some tech articles and look into the MM grip box and road/race boxes and sh*t... All i wanted to know is which shock most people use or if he thinks the shocks will have enough rebound to keep my wheels down to the surface...

I was pissed. Idk if it was bc he was telling me stuff i didnt want to hear about my car or what, but i felt like he was pushing me to buy from them. I didn't learn anything. Whenever i ask a question over there they always say the same sh*t.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I think some of the resistance you had run into was for the exact reason you stated, but for another one as well.

A car can do some funky things if all the suspension parts are not matched together well, so MM is hesitant to get into a situation such as the one you described. I realize that your issue seems simple, but if you were to purchase new shocks and DIDN'T solve your issue, you would have a grip against MM, as they "OK'd" or "recommended" a certain one.

This is why matching shocks/struts/springs is soo important, as your ride quality/handling ability depend upon them.

Jazzer
Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You know Jason is in sales, correct? Lol who did you ask for when you called because you definitely did not talk to the tech department. I mean me personally, I agree 100,000,000,000,000,000% with what they told you about buying new springs. I've mentioned coilovers for your application and that's really what you should get. I mean when you think about it, why are there no spring kits out there that lower a car that much? Probably because there is no damper out there to properly handle that extreme amount of lowering and that insane of a spring rate. But from their standpoint, getting new springs is a very professional opinion. I mean it's like me calling a shop and saying that I want them to tune my stock block GT with a kenne bell pushing 20psi or have a 250 shot on it. They'd tell me come back with a new shortblock or let us build you one. I bet if you call Griggs or any parts place that actually cares about the customer's experience and they would probably tell you the same thing. But there was a bit of salesmanship in there too. I mean MM is out to make money so you can't really hold it against them. In this case it's something you didn't want to hear that you needed proper springs. Lol

Last edited by teej281; 08-30-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I'm seriously thinking about selling this car.

I have some angles that bother me. You can't get a good ride height/comfort without spending thousands.

A bmw might be in my near future.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The car rides just fine OEM and is only bad mods that change it. Your car can ride VERY well on a properly matched set of springs/dampers. You will certainly spend more to get that ride in a BMW.

Jazzer
Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I just don't understand why you pretty much HAVE to have either an IRS or coilovers to have a nice riding rear suspension that is slammed or at least not a huge wheel gap...
Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

HP you gotta just relax bro. Selling your car off to get in a BMW will promise you two things. 1.) BYEBYE to the American Muscle V8 growl 2.) HELLO to fixing parts in thousand dollar increments.

Ask me how I know...
Old 08-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
I just don't understand why you pretty much HAVE to have either an IRS or coilovers to have a nice riding rear suspension that is slammed or at least not a huge wheel gap...

This is your issue.... as soon as you "slam" your ride, even a BMW, you WILL lose ride quality. There is just no way around it because how would you avoid hitting bump-stops without a stiffer spring to avoid such contact?

Jazzer
Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
This is your issue.... as soon as you "slam" your ride, even a BMW, you WILL lose ride quality. There is just no way around it because how would you avoid hitting bump-stops without a stiffer spring to avoid such contact?

Jazzer
10 Points for Jazzer.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Jazzer pwning hp ftmfw!!!

Quick Reply: Bilsteins vs Konis