4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Supercharge Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:23 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Default Supercharge Installation

Hey guys, so in a little bit I plan on starting to get all the pieces for a supercharger together. Me and some friends were planning on doing the install ourselves - but the people who I have tune it are 40 minutes away. Is that too far to drive without a tune? Should I just have them install it? I'd like to do it myself to learn more about my car (and saving money is nice), but I do not want to harm my internals in any way.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

2 options.

i would not pay for htem to install it unless they are willing to do it stupid cheap...so if they arent...

1) go to uhaul and you can rent a car dolly for like 30 bucks and tow it up there if you have a friend/family member with a tow hitch. if you don't, you could rent a vehicle with a tow hitch for like 30 bucks for the day.

2) you can contact someone, probably even your tuner, and have them get you a base tune that you can load on your car. this will not be a perfect tune, but you should be fine to drive your car to the dyno just dont be STUPID. stay OUT OF BOOST the entire way there no matter how itchy your foot gets to hammer the gas to the floor. your dyno shop is going to load a generic tune on your car anyways to get a baseline - this would be very similar to the generic tune you would get. as long as you stay out of boost, a 40 minute drive should be more than fine.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
2 options.

i would not pay for htem to install it unless they are willing to do it stupid cheap...so if they arent...

1) go to uhaul and you can rent a car dolly for like 30 bucks and tow it up there if you have a friend/family member with a tow hitch. if you don't, you could rent a vehicle with a tow hitch for like 30 bucks for the day.

2) you can contact someone, probably even your tuner, and have them get you a base tune that you can load on your car. this will not be a perfect tune, but you should be fine to drive your car to the dyno just dont be STUPID. stay OUT OF BOOST the entire way there no matter how itchy your foot gets to hammer the gas to the floor. your dyno shop is going to load a generic tune on your car anyways to get a baseline - this would be very similar to the generic tune you would get. as long as you stay out of boost, a 40 minute drive should be more than fine.
Excellent thanks. I didnt even think of calling them for a rough canned tune - thanks for the quick response. I'll plan on doing it myself then, and tow it or something
Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

hey just did this. the car dolly is prob not the best option if ur car is lowered. ur rear will sit low and on bumps ur likely to scratch/dent ur tail pipes and bumper. go for the 55 dollar actual car trailer - gets the whole car above ground, strapped in and ready to roll. plus the middle is empty in case ur exhaust hangs low.

good luck
Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 AM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Oh damn, I didnt know you could rent out car trailers for so cheap. ugh.. car still has a Jeep gap but that's fixed next
Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

I was in ur same situation. I would not try driving it anywhere. wouldnt even really bother w/ a base tune if you dont have a hand held (you gotta get the tune on the car even if you get one, haha). Get it towed. Thats what I did. (was about 30 min away)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
I was in ur same situation. I would not try driving it anywhere. wouldnt even really bother w/ a base tune if you dont have a hand held (you gotta get the tune on the car even if you get one, haha). Get it towed. Thats what I did. (was about 30 min away)
Yeah it seems like the best idea to me - I especially like the idea of hauling it inside a truck, not dragging my *** up and down I-40
Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I'm Gonna chance it. S/C should be installed by Friday and base tune is getting put together right now. Hopfully the car should be up and running by Friday evening. The place doing my dyno is supplying to the base tune. I'll let you guys know how it goes...
Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
I'm Gonna chance it. S/C should be installed by Friday and base tune is getting put together right now. Hopfully the car should be up and running by Friday evening. The place doing my dyno is supplying to the base tune. I'll let you guys know how it goes...
Good luck Soldier, hope it goes well.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

if you have thriple a, call them up

Quick Reply: Supercharge Installation