4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Wheel questions and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I say screw it, get the 12s, call jazzer's boy MC Hammer and Sister Sledge and do what cha gotta do to get them meats up under your fenders
Old 09-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

Why are you dropping down from 18s to 17s? With your wheels being widened out like that would there be a weight difference at all?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by kugzgt
how much is it to widen wheels? its gotta be pretty damn expensive i would think

The ONLY place I would consider getting wheels widened/repaird is Weldcraft Wheels.

The cost per wheel (reguardless of how much wider/narrower) was $225 per wheel about 2 years back. I figure it has gone up by now, but would need to call to confirm. You can actually see your local kitty cat's ride in the customers gallery

By the time you pay shipping to/from, expect another $200 or so, depending on where you live and local shipping rates. Remember, that the wheels will ONLY get wider via back-space and why spacers are gonna be required on a Mustang wheel. I suppose if one spent the time to find a wheel that would fit the Mustang, but has a much more positive off-set, you "may" be able to avoid a spacer. I know teej already figures to use them, so just a bit more info for y'all.

My wheels began as Saleen 9" & 10.5" with standard off-sets and fit OEM rides just fine. The fronts were made into a 10" wheel due to clearance afforded by SLA and rears were widened 1/2" and moved outward 1/2" via spacers and longer studs. I have NO room in ANY direction in which to go wider/taller tire, so why I say an 11" wheel is max for proper fit.

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 09-15-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: speling erors
Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I thought my last response in this thread was "contributing." Except for when I'm joking around my posts are helpful and "positive."

Don't get so sensitive or learn to take a joke.
Btw, it's 225/wheel to get widened, and second of all you always make jabs about me not having power mods or wanting to not be the same as every other mustang out there. I'm all for a joke, believe me. But what you're doing is not joking, as all you ever do in my threads is make jabs about me wanting to be different and for having all the suspension work I have done and no power. It's kind of obnoxious and it needs to stop.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The ONLY place I would consider getting wheels widened/repaird is Weldcraft Wheels.

The cost per wheel (reguardless of how much wider/narrower) was $225 per wheel about 2 years back. I figure it has gone up by now, but would need to call to confirm. You can actually see your local kitty cat's ride in the customers gallery

By the time you pay shipping to/from, expect another $200 or so, depending on where you live and local shipping rates. Remember, that the wheels will ONLY get wider via back-space and why spacers are gonna be required on a Mustang wheel. I suppose if one spent the time to find a wheel that would fit the Mustang, but has a much more positive off-set, you "may" be able to avoid a spacer. I know teej already figures to use them, so just a bit more info for y'all.

My wheels began as Saleen 9" & 10.5" with standard off-sets and fit OEM rides just fine. The fronts were made into a 10" wheel due to clearance afforded by SLA and rears were widened 1/2" and moved outward 1/2" via spacers and longer studs. I have NO room in ANY direction in which to go wider/taller tire, so why I say an 11" wheel is max for proper fit.

Jazzer
Question for you, if people are running a 315 tire on a 10.5" wheel, what was the purpose of widening the wheel? Aren't you effectively just adding weight to accomplish the same surface area?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Proper fitment for an 18" wheel with 315's is 11" width. With a 10 or even a 10.5" wide wheel you effectively lose some of the tread patch to act as sidewall. When youre running a 17x10.5 wheel, its alright because there is more sidwall to "bulge"(not that it does, just more of it there to act as sidewall) and allow the full tread patch to meet the road. Does that make sense?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by teej281
Btw, it's 225/wheel to get widened, and second of all you always make jabs about me not having power mods or wanting to not be the same as every other mustang out there. I'm all for a joke, believe me. But what you're doing is not joking, as all you ever do in my threads is make jabs about me wanting to be different and for having all the suspension work I have done and no power. It's kind of obnoxious and it needs to stop.
I think trying to be different is cool. So many things people do to their cars, hundreds have already done it. It would look badass with 12" wide wheels in the back but is it really needed? Would the added weight out weigh the performance aspect of adding wider wheels?

People are out there hooking and doing fine with 10" wide wheels with the right tires.

And I don't jab you in every tread you make. Quit being so sensitive, you're reminding me of my 13 year old sister.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Question for you, if people are running a 315 tire on a 10.5" wheel, what was the purpose of widening the wheel? Aren't you effectively just adding weight to accomplish the same surface area?
A bit wider wheel also tightens up the sidewalls to create a bit better response in the corners. This is above and beyond what my boy teej has mentioned above as well.

Jazzer.... likes it tight!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Oh Jazzer. Lol but with the regards to width, when my build is all said and done, I'm going to need all the tire I can get. I don't want to reveal my build just yet as I'm trying not to build hype and then it doesn't happen. Right now it's in the planning phases and will be put into motion around tax time.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

No matter HOW you slice it, gettting more tire without more wheel to support it.. is a complete waste!

Go ahead and squeaze a 365/15/17" on a 10" wheel and will be WORSE off than a 315/35/17" on a 10.5" wheel.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Wheel questions and concerns