4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Help: Exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I'm looking forward to the move, but not 14 hours with o/r x and magnapacks...bugh LOL
Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM
JBud02

Thanks for all the help everyone, I was looking at probably just replacing the catback and going with magnaflow, probably just gonna say **** it to replacing the headers and mid pipes lol they can stay stock... out of most the videos I've been listening to magnaflow makes the stang sound like a real muscle car!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

JBUD02 when you have enough posts feel free to send me a PM and I can help with any additional questions you may have. Also, if the headers seem like a pain in the ***, do not discount the most important part, the midpipe. check out Smitty's thread from about a month back on whether the offroad X or offroad H sounds better with the magnaflow...GREAT videos there. Personally I think you should pickup a MAC o/r H pipe and the magnapacks. Smitty may tell you o/r X though....lol

Definitely go with a midpipe of some sort...and keep the stock midpipe for when you have emissions tests. Swapping out exhausts becomes so addicting that it will become second nature to you, its pretty damn easy.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 AM
JBud02

Lol yeah I'll check it out, and thanks again... man I'm loving this site so far! A lot of people willing to help out.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I like both X and H with magnapacks, i have an X though but since I like them equally as much I don't care to spend the effort to swap for an H.

I like the scream an X gives when you rev it, but I like the low end rumble of the H while driving....unless I can design a midpipe that does both, I'll stick with the X.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

You could just run an offroad X or H pipe with factory mufflers.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:27 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^And it will sound like its choked....ask me how I know. LOL
Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
OP - We can all tell you our opinions on which catback/midpipe/headers to go with but I'll give you some general info.

Headers - Longtubes (shorties are not worth it unless you are sold on keeping your stock midpipe for emissions purposes, in which case I'd stick with the stock manifolds unless you want to drop 350 plus installation for damn near no change)

Midpipe - X/H/Prochamber X = more raspy, high pitched H = deeper, more muscle car sounding and Prochamber =quietest, cleaner, deep, least amount of rasp due to having essentially a muffler in the midpipe.

Catback - You can choose from Borla, Bassani, Magnaflow, Flowmasters, SSS, SLP < - Just to name a few

If I were starting from scratch on a BUDGET exhaust build....I'd go with MAC longtubes, Magnaflow catted X, SLP LM1's or 2's

If I were starting from scratch on an exhaust build without a budget....I'd go with Kooks Longtubes, Kooks o/r x, Borla Stinger or Custom catback with either Kooks or Corsa mufflers

Americanmuscle.com for pretty much anything exhaust related, and Summit.com also carries what Americanmuscle does not.

Also, if you want that classic Mustang sound and the most budget oriented exhaust setup that sounds awesome....go with the MAC o/r H and Flowmaster catback.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
I'll go in order of succession of the bolded items...

Prochambers are a muffled midpipe. It actually is essentially a muffler crossover.

Magnaflow x pipes ARE NOT cheap at all. They are in fact the most expensive x pipes on the market, right around where the bassani x pipes are, at around $330 for o/r and $500 for a catted variation. For a cheap catted x, go with either Pypes or BBK, Pypes has less rasp than the BBK does if thats a factor taken into consideration. And SLP's are not that cheap. If you want cheap and great sound, go to SSS or get something like flowmaster or MAC.

Kooks makes their own x pipes to go with their headers. First off, bassani does not make a shorty x for us as they do not make longtube headers for our cars, just mid-lengths. Also, Bassani mufflers sound too muffled. When you spend that much on exhaust, get something that has a clear, crisp tone to it like stingers or Corsa dB mufflers or Kooks custom canister style mufflers.

As for MAC o/r h and flowmasters/MAC catback, best sounding combo on our cars for a budget price. Flowmaster catback brand new can be had for like $380 or so and the midpipe is going to be like $150 or something so just over $500 for exhaust that sounds and performs well.

That is all...