4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Got a 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

Default Got a 4.6

Well, I traded in my fox yesterday as a down payment on an 02 gt. So far I love the car, as well as the cops. Got a ticket last night for a 67 in 55. My first time ever getting pulled over lol. The speedo is off cuz the car is geared. Dealership offered to fix it in the future, I'm goin to demand that be done real soon. Anyways, I have no clue what is done to it. They didnt know at the dealership. All I could see was a cold air intake. I think a upr short throw shifter with pistol grip, catless exhaust with magnapack dumps which are insanely loud but nice. The car is silver with saleen body kit and I'm not sure of the wheels, they are flat faced, almost like a cobra r, but no ridge. I'll try to get pics of the car soon. From a distance it looks great, but up close it has its flaws, all of which are in the bodykit. It has mach audio in it, but I dont think it has the amp in it cuz its terrible. Like I said, i'll try to get some pics in my garage soon. So far I'm lovin the modular. Glad to join this group.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:39 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

if dealer will fix it free then thats cool. otherwise you can buy a handheld (better option, i reccomend buying one asap anyways) and fix it yourself, or get a dallas mustang speedcal. both of those will fix the speedo.

they all come with the mach head unit, just may or may not be the entire 460/1000 system. pop the trunk and look under the deck below the rear window. if theres a big black box with 2 amps attached u have mach, if not, then you dont. and also i think it will only have the tweeters mounted next to the side mirrors if u have a 460/1000 but i cant recall for sure. the amps in the back is a sure way to tell.

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 09-26-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:43 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

congrats man on joining the 4.6 2v headache... as you described it sounded you have some of the most important bolt ons for the 4.6(Gears and exhaust) just go and figure wich gears you have....
Old 09-26-2010, 02:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You can figure out what gears you have by making note of the engine RPM at any speed between 40 to 60 in 4th (or 3rd for an auto) and plugging those numbers and you tire size into the Axle Ratio Calculator (click the link in the upper right corner of my "How fast can I go in each gear" calculator).

Also, FWIW it's illegal for any licensed automobile dealer to sell you a car with no cats--anywhere in the US--unless it has a scrap title...
Old 09-26-2010, 03:29 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

The tweeter covers say mach on them. But I looked in the trunk when I was going over the car, didn't see any amps, but I didnt really look. I seen a bare power wire sittin in the trunk, like there was an aftermarket system in it prior to the dealer.

A friend of mine has a handheld hypertech, I think, and he said he'd let me use it. I'm thinkin it has 4:10 gears, 1st is short. I'll check it the old fashioned way when it dries up here, it rained and I have no garage yet.

I knew it was illegal to sell without cats. But If it had them, i woulda taken them off so it saved me money lol.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by badlx87
The tweeter covers say mach on them. But I looked in the trunk when I was going over the car, didn't see any amps, but I didnt really look. I seen a bare power wire sittin in the trunk, like there was an aftermarket system in it prior to the dealer.

A friend of mine has a handheld hypertech, I think, and he said he'd let me use it. I'm thinkin it has 4:10 gears, 1st is short. I'll check it the old fashioned way when it dries up here, it rained and I have no garage yet.

I knew it was illegal to sell without cats. But If it had them, i woulda taken them off so it saved me money lol.
1) if theres no amps in the trunk, it dont matter. you have a mach system, but its not a mach 460 (amplified one).

2) you cannot use your friends tuner to change your gear ratios. his tuner is married to his car. the only thing you can use it for on your car is to read CEL codes. one tuner works with one car at a time. its like that so one person cant buy a tuner and give out tunes to all their friends.

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 09-26-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:19 PM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

You "financed" an '02?
Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexplantman
You "financed" an '02?
and the problem with that is? Not everyone has a few thousand dollars laying around
Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You "financed" an '02?
I've been there--wife, kid, mortgage, food, utilities, etc...
Old 09-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

You "financed" an '02?
This grade A douche needs a ban. Grats on the car OP.

Quick Reply: Got a 4.6