4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Couple questions for the pro's!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Trip420

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
A couple of things. First what is your budget. Second, I would spend money on a 2003 Cobra hard top especially if you are going to track your car. It is a much better platform to begin with. If you race it you will need a 4 point cage at a minimum but at 600 rwhp you will need a full cage on a vert. If you want to spend over 15K then I recommend the following to attain your goals:

Engine:
MMR900 shortblock fully forged motor (note they don't sell the MMR800 anymore)
TFS heads Stage III and CMS custom stage BLOWER cams maybe 3.5 or 4
Cobra High Volume Oil Pump
MMR 9Q oil pan
Clutch Stage 3

Fuel:
80lb injectors
PRO M 92 Mass Air Flow Sensor
Dual Cobra Pumps and fuel tank
All new fuel lines
KB BAP

Blower:
KB 2.6 inner cooled
8 rib pulley

Exhaust
Full exhaust Long Tubes (Kooks)

Reaend and Suspension:
3.55 or 3.73s gearing
Fully built rearend with either 31" or 33" alxe splines
Detriot locker
Welded full length subframes
Lower control arms
Drag Radials

Brakes:
Cobra Brake upgrade
Custom Dyno Tune

Thanks for the detail.. My budget is at least $30k (Vette proceeds) I figure I can build a hell of blower motor (like you mentioned above) for $20k-ish and use the other $10k for rearend, transmission and frame work.. I don't care to drag race the car that much.. It'll be a street car 90% of the time.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by saleen556
From experience i will recommend not wasting your time with the mods. I have a 700hp mustang i am selling to purchase a C6Z. They are amazing performance cars and for the money you will need to put in the mustang it's not worth it. With just a few mods on the Z a stang wont touch it on the street. This is my 3rd mustang and they are great for what they are. I think the mustang needs to be compared more to the camaro as the new vettes are in a different league.

Didn't say any of this to **** anyone off just my opinion from research and facts.
This kid is too cool for school, LOL. A few mods on a Z and a 700RWHP kenne bell mustang wont touch it on the street? Nice one Paul Walker. The new ZR1 costs 100+k with half of that cash I could build a Cobra to destroy that car. But I guess everybody makes 500k a year, huh?

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
A couple of things. First what is your budget. Second, I would spend money on a 2003 Cobra hard top especially if you are going to track your car. It is a much better platform to begin with. If you race it you will need a 4 point cage at a minimum but at 600 rwhp you will need a full cage on a vert. If you want to spend over 15K then I recommend the following to attain your goals:

Engine:
MMR900 shortblock fully forged motor (note they don't sell the MMR800 anymore)
TFS heads Stage III and CMS custom stage BLOWER cams maybe 3.5 or 4
Cobra High Volume Oil Pump
MMR 9Q oil pan
Clutch Stage 3

Fuel:
80lb injectors
PRO M 92 Mass Air Flow Sensor
Dual Cobra Pumps and fuel tank
All new fuel lines
KB BAP

Blower:
KB 2.6 inner cooled
8 rib pulley

Exhaust
Full exhaust Long Tubes (Kooks)

Reaend and Suspension:
3.55 or 3.73s gearing
Fully built rearend with either 31" or 33" alxe splines
Detriot locker
Welded full length subframes
Lower control arms
Drag Radials

Brakes:
Cobra Brake upgrade
Custom Dyno Tune
+1 to all of this other than maybe choosing a diff brand for certain mods to your personal liking.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 PM
saleen556
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
This kid is too cool for school, LOL. A few mods on a Z and a 700RWHP kenne bell mustang wont touch it on the street? Nice one Paul Walker. The new ZR1 costs 100+k with half of that cash I could build a Cobra to destroy that car. But I guess everybody makes 500k a year, huh?

+1 to all of this other than maybe choosing a diff brand for certain mods to your personal liking.
I apologize hangwire if i was offensive. What I was trying to say is it takes alot of cash to make a mustang hang with a Z06. The weight ,balance and aerodynamics of the Z06 is hard to overcome. Not saying it's not possible just very expensive.

As for your comment about 500k a year. I make about 10% of that:-(
Old 10-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Yeah dude I make significantly less than 10% of that. With about 6k in mods on mmy 03 GT I can atleast hang with a C6 vette, they're capability much like the stang is in modifications. Its unfair to say either is better or worse than the other. I know I love and respect a lot about Corvettes and would own a nice one if I had the money.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM
saleen556
1st Gear Member

Yeah dude I make significantly less than 10% of that. With about 6k in mods on mmy 03 GT I can atleast hang with a C6 vette, they're capability much like the stang is in modifications. Its unfair to say either is better or worse than the other. I know I love and respect a lot about Corvettes and would own a nice one if I had the money.
The C6 Z06 is much different animal than the standard C6. Not here to argue as I have enjoyed modding my saleen over the last 8 years and wouldn't change a thing. Have made alot of vette owners frown myself:-)
Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by saleen556
The C6 Z06 is much different animal than the standard C6. Not here to argue as I have enjoyed modding my saleen over the last 8 years and wouldn't change a thing. Have made alot of vette owners frown myself:-)
Haha yeah I know theres a difference. On my way home from getting my car I challenged a C6 vette but he never went I dunno why. He put his window down and put his arm out like he was gonna signal a count but never did anything. Was kinda weird because I look totally stock.

Last edited by Hangwire; 10-02-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I gotta agree with the KB 2.6 along with a built engine and good fuel system, then your gonna need suspension and good tires to plant that torque to the ground. The Z06's are just pure bred beast and are hard to hang with but not impossible...... I say doo eeet !!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

F that if you have the cash and you're serious about getting this thing to 500-600RWHP Get the MMR 900 and a Kenne Bell 2.6L.

Your transmission(4R70W) will handle that power. Get a J-MOD Valve body from BC Automotive or Dirty Dog Performance. If you are wanting to be able to launch at the track get a 2800-3200 stall converter for the Kenne Bell, if you have a centrifugal get a 3800-4200 stall. But a stall that big will not be fun to drive on the street.
Not true at all. Very drivable on the street, yes that includes DD'ing.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Trip420

Thanks guys, you've all given me a lot to contemplate here.. I'm gonna go for it and build the MMR900 w/KB 2.6 and all the trimmings mentioned above. I also want to opt for the aluminum block for weight savings.. Does anyone in the the know object to this??

Thanks again guys..
Old 10-03-2010, 10:46 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

get a teskid if ya want an aluminum

Quick Reply: Couple questions for the pro's!!