4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need some help guys!!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:16 AM
stallion11030
2nd Gear Member

Default Need some help guys!!

ok, well on my way home, shortly after smoking a 350z, i smelled coolant real bad, followed by the coolant yellow dash light coming on, followed by white smoke. Also had a large amount of coolant leaking from the car as i was driving it.... there was no pop or bang, and its nighttime so i couldnt see to well but i did see any cracks on the intake manifold, however coolant was everywhere. there was a large amountof coolant in the Vunder the manifold, and i checked the oil and didnt see any signs of coolant in the oil.... does the coolant in the V mean a leak at the water pump connector? and is it safe to crank it back up to locate the leak?? the engine was running fineafter this happened, just leaking! all help me with this pleasee!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:29 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The line running through the valley is the return line from the heater core, it has a short rubber connector at the back of the water pump housing than can rot and crack.

Starting the engine for a short period (don't let it overheat!) will not harm anything...
Old 10-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

I know this is stupid but did you check your oil to make sure there wasnt any coolant in there?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Crazycarnut
I know this is stupid but did you check your oil to make sure there wasnt any coolant in there?
That's probably what he meant when he stated "i checked the oil and didnt see any signs of coolant in the oil..."--though I admit the posting would have been more readable with caps and paragraphs:

Ok, well on my way home, shortly after smoking a 350z, I smelled coolant real bad, followed by the coolant yellow dash light coming on, followed by white smoke. Also had a large amount of coolant leaking from the car as I was driving it....

There was no pop or bang, and its nighttime so I couldn't see to well but I did see any cracks on the intake manifold, however coolant was everywhere. There was a large amount of coolant in the "V" under the manifold, and I checked the oil and didnt see any signs of coolant in the oil....

Does the coolant in the V mean a leak at the water pump connector, and is it safe to crank it back up to locate the leak?

The engine was running fine after this happened, just leaking! All help me with this pleasee!!!
If it had been much longer I would not have read it at all...
Old 10-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=cliffyk;7247614]That's probably what he meant when he stated "i checked the oil and didnt see any signs of coolant in the oil...QUOTE]

Well Cliff I feel dumb now For some reason that just didnt compute with me today.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:27 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

[QUOTE=Crazycarnut;7247622]
Originally Posted by cliffyk
That's probably what he meant when he stated "i checked the oil and didnt see any signs of coolant in the oil...QUOTE]

Well Cliff I feel dumb now For some reason that just didnt compute with me today.
Don't worry about it, presented as a glob of run-on text it was next to impossible to read!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 PM
stallion11030
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=cliffyk;7247625]
Originally Posted by Crazycarnut

Don't worry about it, presented as a glob of run-on text it was next to impossible to read!
Hey now it was late and i was stressed! No need to make fun! But anyways, I just cranked it up and it ran fine for about five minutes until i guess the thermostat opened up and right behind the alternator above the V coolant was steadily flowing out....

I dont want to buy a new Manifold unless I know its cracked and not just bad seal. I got a little mirror and was trying to see in there but no luck....

Is there any connections in the area I am talking about Cliff?? its on the underside of the mani., RIGHT behind the alternator.....

Also, can someone point me to the sticky on here of the "how to replace the manifold"?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As I said above, the heater core return pipe runs under the manifold and connects to the back of the water pump housing just below the generator.

Here a link to the intake manifold R 'n R from the shop manual...

-------------------------------------------------
Poking fun was part of it--however you will find that more people will respond if they can read what the problem was.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:39 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

[QUOTE=stallion11030;7248134]
Originally Posted by cliffyk

Hey now it was late and i was stressed! No need to make fun! But anyways, I just cranked it up and it ran fine for about five minutes until i guess the thermostat opened up and right behind the alternator above the V coolant was steadily flowing out....

I dont want to buy a new Manifold unless I know its cracked and not just bad seal. I got a little mirror and was trying to see in there but no luck....

Is there any connections in the area I am talking about Cliff?? its on the underside of the mani., RIGHT behind the alternator.....

Also, can someone point me to the sticky on here of the "how to replace the manifold"?
Sounds like your cross over is cracked.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 AM
stallion11030
2nd Gear Member

Ok welllll..... I just pulled everything apart and I see NO CRACK where the coolant was leaking. Im hoping it is just the seal. I need to know how to get these fuel rails off though, Do I need to take them off with the injectors or does EVERYTHING need to come apart?