4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Griggs Panhard bar or skip it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
The only reason I went IRS is because it is a nicer ride. Now that my car is not a DD, Every watts link/TA car iv been in felt better than the IRS from a performance standpoint.
sit in mine^^
Old 10-24-2010, 02:05 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
sit in mine^^
Iv been in a fully built IRS. They basically feel the same. The SRA is just less expensive to build. It would be a different story if the mustang IRS was built better but... yea.. lol
Old 10-24-2010, 06:09 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
There are couple common ways to rid oneself of the UCA's (< horrible little creatures that they are ) and a WL or PHB with a TA is wonderful way. They are now out of the equasion and your car is FAR better at hitting the twisties

SLA = Short Long Arm:
This is a set of twin front control arms that apply increasing negative camber as the front suspension is being compressed. This keeps the outside tire flat to the road surface throughout the travel of the wheel.

Jazzer
keeps the tire flat at all times or only in cornering?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ Flat or perpendicular to the road surface when cornering. Negative camber will keep them tilted upon level/straight driving.

The upper control arm, talkin' up front here, is shorter than the lower one and why it's called SLA. Take a look at the following vid to see how the front tire contact patch remains consistant thoughout the path of compression:

SLA vs. MacPherson strut

Pay particular attention to the 2:15 mark and beyond to see how effective it is under body roll. This is an Agent47 set-up and not Griggs, but operate in the same way.

Jazzer
Old 10-24-2010, 03:10 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

I see I have mine right now set up for negative camber, only because i dont have cc plates. The only downside is the inside of the tires get worn out quicker than the rest. I definitely want to get into the suspension aspect of this car.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:29 PM
rman101
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the responses everyone i always wanted one and this is a killer deal. trying to get in contact with the guy selling it is the only delay now but it has been up for sale for a long time so hopefully its still there!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
I see I have mine right now set up for negative camber, only because i dont have cc plates. The only downside is the inside of the tires get worn out quicker than the rest. I definitely want to get into the suspension aspect of this car.
If you are looking to go suspension for cornering, I'd recommend you leave a degree or more and accept the wear of the tires. I run 2* and my front tires certainly fail prematurely, but the extra grip is WELL worth it

Jazzer
Old 10-24-2010, 08:40 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
If you are looking to go suspension for cornering, I'd recommend you leave a degree or more and accept the wear of the tires. I run 2* and my front tires certainly fail prematurely, but the extra grip is WELL worth it

Jazzer

Oh i noticed a drastic difference in cornering after i replaced everything with tokico blues and tokico red lowering springs and with the neg camber. I am hooked and want to push it further but the funds are not there .
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
Oh i noticed a drastic difference in cornering after i replaced everything with tokico blues and tokico red lowering springs and with the neg camber. I am hooked and want to push it further but the funds are not there .
See if you can swap someone for an IRS. It will wake the car up quite a bit.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
See if you can swap someone for an IRS. It will wake the car up quite a bit.
i dont even know where to start to look

Quick Reply: Griggs Panhard bar or skip it?