4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

N00B with Questions B4 I Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

These stangs are very reliable. Pick up and 03-04 whatever "quirks" the car had were worked out by then. As far as responding to mods most bolt-ons wont have real amazing effects on this engine because it is low compression and low displacement for a V8(though not for you import boys). Youl spend alot more making your stang fast on bolt-ons than you will with a supercharger.

I picked up my 03 @ 53k miles and its at 85k now. Just threw a KB 2.1L S/C on there about 1500 miles ago and its throwing down 380RWHP/400TQ on the stock bottom end. So yeah, the motor is sturdy as hell.

Mustangs are known for little creaks and noises and mine certainly isnt an exception, all kinds of random little creaks and noises. Its from the relatively cheap interior design. With the radio on and some proper exhaust this wont be an issue .
Old 10-28-2010, 06:25 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

+1... for the most part they are reliable, if anything breaks, for the most part it is an easy and inexpensive to fix, just don't expect it to be as fast as anything in your sig lol.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:28 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

Thanks guys.

The test drive yesterday was HORRIBLE. The guy threw me the keys as I walked in the door and said "let me know how it goes" with a look of failure on his face...

The interior was falling apart. The center console was cracked and the driver's seat was on the floor. There was an electrical noise coming from the dash and the hazard lights were stuck on. Brakes were shot. At least it sounded good though LOL.

The search goes on...
Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

Don't let that one car make your decision for you. Some people don't know how to take care of their cars. There are many nice Mustangs to be had, for a decent price. Just keep looking!
It took me about 3 months till I found what I was looking for. It was worth the wait.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

Ok well after some more shopping I finally found one in great condition. Dark gray (gunmetal color) GT in excellent condition which had a female driver as the pervious owner. Car is being delivered to me this afternoon. Thanks for all the tips bros.

Now I have to figure out what route I want to take with the modifications...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

ooo nice choice that is a great color... congrats on finding one
Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

Originally Posted by machracer11
ooo nice choice that is a great color... congrats on finding one
Thanks my man. I'm thinking about doing the easy K&N filter mod immediately so I can free up a few ponies and maybe increase motor sound. Anybody know the part # for the K&N filter that fits the 03 GT?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:02 PM
ItalianStallionGTR

Hey so the car is just like I thought it'd be. Lots of fun lol. My girl is driving it around right now. We're gonna go cruising with it later. I popped the hood and spotted a K&N airbox (not the cone, it had a box over it but it had a K&N logo) and also I noticed SLP on the tips and I looked under the car and could see nice stainless piping. The aggressive sound is very cool, no drone or anything though. Hopefully these couple of "mods" might give it a bit extra hp over stock. I'll play around with the car a bit tonight. It also has a sound system in it and a spoiler and an aftermarket grill. I am thinking of changing the grill to the black Mach 1 type though.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

If the car doesn't have gears yet, I'd suggest 4.10's. It'll wake up your car quickly.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

Originally Posted by crash
If the car doesn't have gears yet, I'd suggest 4.10's. It'll wake up your car quickly.
Thank you sir. I need to find a good Mustang shop in NY.

We also decided to remove the subwoofers, even though they're pretty cool, we feel it weighs the car down way too much.

Quick Reply: N00B with Questions B4 I Buy!