4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

AUTO SWAP initial track results!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

^^^yikes :/
Old 11-11-2010, 08:30 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

That's what happens when it isn't rebuilt correctly or using cheap parts. A properly built 4r70w will hold much more power than 400.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:39 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The trans isn't slipping, it just isn't getting up to the right rpm before shifting. It is a clean firm shift thanks to the transgo hd-2 kit. The thing is shifting low and is locked up in 3rd. I'm going to run it unlocked and figure out how to make the thing shift as commanded and see where we are next week as long as weather permits.

And yes, my car had a p-1sc on it for a couple years until I pulled it early this year to do the suspension, drag tires/wheels, nitrous kit, and a couple bucks in my pocket.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:10 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

what kind of converter did you put in.. is the valve body j-modded?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:29 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

It has a custom 9.5" DirtyDog converter with a billet front cover. Advertised stall is 4,000 but it is actually flashing up to around 4500. The valve body had had a Transgo HD-2 kit done (that's how I got it). I am about to get a stock valve body and do a j-mod and see which one I like better. You can pick up a stock VB for like $30
Old 11-12-2010, 05:04 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

where did you get an aluminum ds? im still on the stocker and i want something lighter for less rotational weight
Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I got my drive shaft NIB on eBay for like $145. Keep your eye out on there. You can always order it from from like summit or jegs. They only sell the aluminum ds for 5-speed cars if I remember correctly, so if you have an auto like me, you need to use your stock front yoke
Old 11-14-2010, 01:28 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Just got a response from the guys over on the Sniper Tuning forums, and it doesn't sound like I made any mistakes in the tuning of the trans. The shift points are set correctly and since the 1-2 is going as scheduled, there might be something up with the trans itself or the VB. I'm guessing the shift kit that is in there could be affecting it if the previous owner did not install it right.

They also hooked me up with setting my converter lockup schedule not to lock in 3rd gear and got rid of the torque reduction during the shifts. Stuff I was planning on doing after doing a bit more messing around with the software, but they beat me to it and just showed me how. I'm so glad I went with Sniper for my tuning needs. The Commando kit has saved me hundreds of dollars in tuning over the years.

I'm sure I will be at least 13.0 with the converter unlocked and with the tq reduction removed. Next on the list is a deep sump aluminum pan, a 3/8" trans line kit, and an MSD Launch Master since the 2-step written into the tune apparently does not work with an auto trans. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good weather this wednesday. Day two of tuning should be exciting.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I'm going to be getting the pan Alan has on his website. I also have his 3/8" lines right now. Might get a bigger cooler also.

Are you going with Alan's pan and lines?

And what kind of results should you see from removing the torque reduction? I haven't adjusted anything on my converter and it's lock up schedule.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:42 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Just got a response from the guys over on the Sniper Tuning forums, and it doesn't sound like I made any mistakes in the tuning of the trans. The shift points are set correctly and since the 1-2 is going as scheduled, there might be something up with the trans itself or the VB. I'm guessing the shift kit that is in there could be affecting it if the previous owner did not install it right.

They also hooked me up with setting my converter lockup schedule not to lock in 3rd gear and got rid of the torque reduction during the shifts. Stuff I was planning on doing after doing a bit more messing around with the software, but they beat me to it and just showed me how. I'm so glad I went with Sniper for my tuning needs. The Commando kit has saved me hundreds of dollars in tuning over the years.

I'm sure I will be at least 13.0 with the converter unlocked and with the tq reduction removed. Next on the list is a deep sump aluminum pan, a 3/8" trans line kit, and an MSD Launch Master since the 2-step written into the tune apparently does not work with an auto trans. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good weather this wednesday. Day two of tuning should be exciting.
Delta Force is the ultimate tuner. I love mine. Its nice not to have to worry about getting a tune...ever again.

Quick Reply: AUTO SWAP initial track results!!!