4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Catback Question!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by matt1990
yeah i was looking into gears before but it seams like they'll cost over $500 with a recalibration and thats not something me and a friend could really do (my friends got some mechanic experience but nothing really in the drivetrain yet)
I bought my gears out of a wrecked explorer for 75 dollors and I had most of everything else to do the install at the house other then the gear lube and friction modifer. You should be able to find someone to put em in for you for around 100 dollors though.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
I'd rather get a magnaflow catback (regular or the magnapacks)
I would much rather have the regular Magnaflow catback than the Rustmaster catback.I wouldn't get my catback from American Muscle though.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
I would much rather have the regular Magnaflow catback than the Rustmaster catback.I wouldn't get my catback from American Muscle though.
Why not get it from American Muscle?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crazycarnut
Why not get it from American Muscle?
Terrible customer service and they shafted me twice.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:02 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^You Sir. are a troll. This forum is NOT the forum to bash American Muscle.....unless you'd like to get bashed yourself.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I don't like magnaflows. I have the "Flowmaster American Thunder" (or whatever they call it with the super 44 mufflers). Sounds great, I don't mind drone, I actually like it... mine have been through 3 years of western pa winters - no rust. If you're worried about rust, throw some paint on them... You won't notice performance gains either...

I have never had any problems with AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Terrible customer service and they shafted me twice.
I haven't heard one positive comment from you except on your "centerforce" clutch...quit bashing companies man...not too cool.

And i like my super 44s w/ my o/r h pipe. VERY good muscle car sound. I like the magnaflows as well. So i mean its w/e you like.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

striaght through mufflers always have sounded weird to me with an o/r h, the x seems to be paired better with the striaght though and the h with the chambered. IMO.

not to steal the thread but has anyone with stock cb and o/r pipe notice that there is a large collection of water that comes out of the muffler "drip holes?" when you jack up the front end. not just a like a little, a descent puddle... anyone have a cut away from a stock muffler or a reason for that?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Well Magnaflow makes two different kinds of catbacks for our car. Everything is the same except for the mufflers.
Yes and No.The Magnapack CB and regular Magnaflow CB are identical in the over axle pipes ONLY. There are pipes from the midpipe to the front of the mufflers, then the mufflers, then the over axle and tips. The pipes from the midpipe to the front of the mufflers are different to accomodate the different style mufflers. I know because i went from the regular mufflers and traded someone for their magnapacks. We also had to trade "front pipes" of the CB as well.

EDIT: I think the only reason why people equate the "old school muscle car sound" with Flowmasters is because who ever had a mustang would put Flowmasters on. I'm sure if people always put Magnaflow mufflers on they would become THE sound to be looking for lol. Even I agree that a mustang with flowmasters are the "typical" mustang sound and can/is quite distinctive. I just hate the hollow/tinny/metallic sound they give off....Hence why I'm running a catted X and magnapacks

Last edited by smitty2919; 11-15-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^We all know you got neutered on your move down to KY Smitty. THATS why you put cats back on it....its ok man.

Quick Reply: Catback Question!