4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Catback Question!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Smitty you should put like 6 more cats on it......see if you can make your stang quieter than a Prius...you won't!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by matt1990
ChrisIA: yeah the emissions test up here is B/S i failed it in the camry i had before so i doubt i could get away with striaght through pipes. And yeah i was looking at tuners before but i was thinking exhaust first as its and auto with 105,000 miles and im not trying to put any unnesssary strain on the transmittion, drivetrain or engine and i assuming exhaust work wont strain the car lol. Thanks for recommending it tho
no problem buddy. just an opinion on sound, borla really gets me. its over priced at well over $500 though. you could prob find it on ebay going for for less. sorry cant post a link or anything, my internet is being weird. good luck with however you end up going man.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Smitty you should put like 6 more cats on it......see if you can make your stang quieter than a Prius...you won't!

You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

I don't mind loud....but I want it to sound good too. No cats it sounded like a damn truck getting on the highway. Not to mention I'm stock so my bark was louder than my bite LOL
Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Sound reasons. I was tired of going half throttole on normal take offs and having it sound like I was WOT. Not to mention getting on the highway and putting it to 3/4 throttle it pulsed way too much and sounded like a truck. I didn't have a catted midpips put on, I just had cats welded onto my X pipe. It cleaned up/smoothed out the sound a lot. It's still on the louder side, but more refined. I'm even contemplating going to the regular magnaflow mufflers with the catted X.
i understand that. after about an hour of 80mph freeway driving, my gt will make you feel like you've been to a rock concert, cant hear ****
Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
i understand that. after about an hour of 80mph freeway driving, my gt will make you feel like you've been to a rock concert, cant hear ****
Yep lol. I'm wanting to turn my car into a comfortable all around DD that sounds good, looks good and rides well. Just because it is not ear blowing exhaust wise does not mean it can't sound good lol.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Yep lol. I'm wanting to turn my car into a comfortable all around DD that sounds good, looks good and rides well. Just because it is not ear blowing exhaust wise does not mean it can't sound good lol.
yea, since i put the irs in my car and have a chance to switch the cb, i picked up a magnaflow with the standard muffler,not the bullit style. hopefully that will quiet it down some. i originally had borla stinger knock-offs with the off-road x
Old 11-17-2010, 04:50 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by matt1990
Thank you everyone thats posted in here to help me!

ChrisIA: yeah the emissions test up here is B/S i failed it in the camry i had before so i doubt i could get away with striaght through pipes. And yeah i was looking at tuners before but i was thinking exhaust first as its and auto with 105,000 miles and im not trying to put any unnesssary strain on the transmittion, drivetrain or engine and i assuming exhaust work wont strain the car lol. Thanks for recommending it tho

Trueblue: How would your future mods effect what type of catback to get? and how much louder the flowmaster catback then stock?
Matt,
Some items that may change your catback choice could be:
Mid-pipe configuration (X doesn't sound good w/ chambered mufflers).
Catted or o/r mid pipe may effect your choice of mufflers.
Suspension mods (some components, like a panhard bar, may interfere w/ some catback systems).
There has been some discussion about whether turbos prefer straight thru mufflers.

It is hard for me to say how much the volume increased from personal experience, because my car came equipped with a nice factory muffler for the Bullitt and I installed 3 chamber Flowmasters. Therefore, since my volume and tone didn't change a lot due to the mufflers, doesn't mean that yours won't be quite noticable. You know the tone will change quite a bit, and I suspect that 2 chamber Flowmasters will absolutely increase your sound level over stock.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:01 PM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
Matt,
Some items that may change your catback choice could be:
Mid-pipe configuration (X doesn't sound good w/ chambered mufflers).
Catted or o/r mid pipe may effect your choice of mufflers.
Suspension mods (some components, like a panhard bar, may interfere w/ some catback systems).
There has been some discussion about whether turbos prefer straight thru mufflers.

It is hard for me to say how much the volume increased from personal experience, because my car came equipped with a nice factory muffler for the Bullitt and I installed 3 chamber Flowmasters. Therefore, since my volume and tone didn't change a lot due to the mufflers, doesn't mean that yours won't be quite noticable. You know the tone will change quite a bit, and I suspect that 2 chamber Flowmasters will absolutely increase your sound level over stock.
yeah well i think im staying away from the x-pipe and sticking with a cats (cause nh emissions laws are kinda strict) and then prolly just going for the flowmaster catback next monday and hope that livens up my exhaust a little bit more.

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
no prob

for what it's worth, the AM is very expensive when it comes to the Magnaflow catbacks...I think there are a couple places that sell them for $299 plus shipping, I forgot where. But right off the bat, here's one on eBay for $425 shipped OBO:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Perfo...Q5fAccessories

Could probably offer like $380ish and they would probably accept that...
thanks for the help with the magnaflow catback, but im going to go with the flowmasters tho

Originally Posted by ChrisIA
no problem buddy. just an opinion on sound, borla really gets me. its over priced at well over $500 though. you could prob find it on ebay going for for less. sorry cant post a link or anything, my internet is being weird. good luck with however you end up going man.
thanks but im really trying to stay right around or below the $400 mark