4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Catback Question!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

Default Catback Question!

Im looking at getting the flowmaster american thunder exhaust as my second performance mod and i was wondering if anybody every really notices more hp from the catback exhaust? Im basically on the fence about it. I want more from it then just a change in exhaust sound.

this is the one im looking at
http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-9904gt.html

any suggestions on other mods is appreciated, basically i got about $450 i've saved up specifically for my car and labor for bolt ons is free. All i got so far is a CAI
Old 11-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

You wont get any power out of it you can feel. If your wanting to add more power I would go with gears (it wont add anypower) you will get a nice seat of the pants feel going.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

No, you wont notice any power gain, just sound.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 PM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crazycarnut
You wont get any power out of it you can feel. If your wanting to add more power I would go with gears (it wont add anypower) you will get a nice seat of the pants feel going.
yeah i was looking into gears before but it seams like they'll cost over $500 with a recalibration and thats not something me and a friend could really do (my friends got some mechanic experience but nothing really in the drivetrain yet)
Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I'd rather get a magnaflow catback (regular or the magnapacks), they sound better, perform better (both are straight-through) and are both cheaper...

Not to mention you won't get that drone like the flowmasters have
Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
I'd rather get a magnaflow catback (regular or the magnapacks), they sound better, perform better (both are straight-through) and are both cheaper...

Not to mention you won't get that drone like the flowmasters have
i havent seen them cheaper and i dont care for the sound of the striaght through muffler, i like the chambered ones cause i think then sound more muscle car like

also, what do you mean by "drone"

Last edited by matt1990; 11-14-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

drone is thatn humming sound that you hear in the mufflers around 60-75mph. some ppl like it some dont.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:25 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by matt1990
i havent seen them cheaper and i dont care for the sound of the striaght through muffler, i like the chambered ones cause i think then sound more muscle car like

also, what do you mean by "drone"
Drone is this constant loud humming noise at certain RPM's most pronounced when you are crusing on the freeway. Some people like it, others are ok with it, most people hate it. It makes your ears bleed. Flowmasters are infamous for their drone. It might not be too bad with the stock 3.27's but once you upgrade and start crusing on the freeway at 2000+ RPM's, it will be worse...

Maybe you don't like the SLP LM type straight-through mufflers but some others sound really good and deep ie. Magnaflows, Borla's, and Bassani (I believe they are also straight-through).

Not sure exactly what sound and loudness you are looking for but maybe you should give the Magnaflow's a fair reconsideration...not to mention their catbacks are stainless steel unlike the aluminized steel of the Flowmasters. If you go with chambered mufflers then you will also leave on the table what little HP you would gain from a catback...
Old 11-15-2010, 12:27 AM
matt1990
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Drone is this constant loud humming noise at certain RPM's most pronounced when you are crusing on the freeway. Some people like it, others are ok with it, most people hate it. It makes your ears bleed. Flowmasters are infamous for their drone. It might not be too bad with the stock 3.27's but once you upgrade and start crusing on the freeway at 2000+ RPM's, it will be worse...

Maybe you don't like the SLP LM type straight-through mufflers but some others sound really good and deep ie. Magnaflows, Borla's, and Bassani (I believe they are also straight-through).

Not sure exactly what sound and loudness you are looking for but maybe you should give the Magnaflow's a fair reconsideration...not to mention their catbacks are stainless steel unlike the aluminized steel of the Flowmasters. If you go with chambered mufflers then you will also leave on the table what little HP you would gain from a catback...
i think i know what your talking about with the drone and it doesnt bother me much and do you know which ones are louder, basically i want something louder but not too loud
Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by matt1990
i think i know what your talking about with the drone and it doesnt bother me much and do you know which ones are louder, basically i want something louder but not too loud
Well Magnaflow makes two different kinds of catbacks for our car. Everything is the same except for the mufflers. They are both straight-through and offer the same performance, it's just that one of them has a lot more packing around the straight-through tubing, so it's not as loud.

Taken from the AM website (Ignore how they put the regular magnaflow catback in the chambered catagory - It's not):

Regular Magnaflows:

Magnaflow Magnapacks:

Non-Magnapacks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bftzf2SugFs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnn4PwugTcQ

Magnapacks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDCg24K2EAc

The non-magnpacks again offer the same straight-through performance as the Magnpacks but isn't very loud at all, which IMO is quite nice. Not sure which one is louder between the Flowmasters or the non-Magnapacks, probably about the same. But the Magnapacks are the loudest between all 3.

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 11-15-2010 at 03:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Catback Question!